Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Mount Paugus


Summit: Mount Paugus (3,100')
Trail route: Kelley Trail, Lawrence Trail, Old Mast Road 
Trail conditions: Mostly dry with some wet sections
Weather: Warm and cloudy
Total miles: 8.2
Total time:  5:04

Having gridded out the 48 4,000 footers in October last year I was looking for a new summit and new trails. I decided to hike Mount Paugus that is on the 52 With a View list.

The trail starts from the Ferncroft parking area. This is a long drive for me. I have been to Ferncroft many times before to hike Whiteface and Passaconaway summits. I got an early start but there were still several cars in the parking lot when I arrived.

I did a final check of the map and GPS before starting the hike. It was a nice gradual upward hike on the Kelley Trail that passed through a box canyon. The Lawrence Trail dipped down into a col before making a fairly steep climb up. The trail ended on the the ledges of the South Peak of Mount Paugus. 

I passed over the top and down the other side for a view of Mount Chocorua and the Sisters through the trees where I visited last week. The views were not that good from the top and I was wondering how this made the 52 With a View list. I then descended to where the ledges opened up and the views were exposed. There were spectacular west and southwest views. After exploring this area I started my descent.

Now I say I started my descent but after wandering around on the ledges I had to search for the Lawrence Trail that I had come up. It took me a few minutes to find the pointy rock that marks the trail and I was on my way down. Down is a bit of a misnomer since there was a lot of up on my way back to the trail junction.

At the trail junction I continued over to the Old Mast Road. Once on this trail it was a nice stroll down to the Ferncroft parking area. I had seen no other hikers today. Although it was cloudy the temperature was comfortable and it was an enjoyable hike.

I have many hikes from several different lists to work on during October. I look forward to visiting more new trails and summits this month!

Enjoy the the photos and video!

Early morning Chocorua Lake reflection

Hike starts here

Bridge over Spring Brook


Kelley Trail continues to the left off this forest road


Trail passes over this brook cascading over smooth ledge

Following a ledge in a box ravine

"Stacked" ledge

Heading up and out of the box canyon

Last stretch out of the canyon





Colorful trail




Arriving at the South Peak of Mount Paugus

A view of Chocorua and the Sisters through the trees

Middle Sister where I visited last week


Whiteface and Passaconaway

Zooming in to Whiteface

Mount Whiteface in the distance

Colorful foliage below

A deep pit on the ledges

Walking up the ledges

A look back down the ledges

View from the ledges

A view all the way back to Ferncroft

This rock marks the trail back down


The Mount Paugus summit can be seen through the trees but there is no trail

Tree with legs








Spring Brook

Mount Paugus from Ferncroft

The ledges on Paugus

The drive home through Pinkham Notch

View from Mount Paugus ledges



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment