Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Middle Sister via Carter Ledge Trail


Summit: Middle Sister (3,340')
Trail route: Carter Ledge Trail, Middle Sister Trail 
Trail conditions: Mostly dry with some wet sections
Weather: Cool, crisp, dry with sun to clouds
Total miles: 8.6
Total time:  5:18

I have completed hiking all 48 4,000 footers for the month of September and was looking to hike some new territory. I decided to hike Middle Sister for the 52 With a View list via the Carter Ledge Trail for the Terrifying 25 list. There was beautiful weather in the forecast and I was looking forward to my first Fall hike.

I got an early start and was the first one in the hiker parking lot at White Ledge Campground. I walked through the campground to get to the trailhead. It was a nice, easy elevation gain for the first couple of miles. The trail then starts to get steep with rocks and ledges. There is the occasional views of the steep ledges ahead of me on Third Sister.

There was some fun ledge scrambles along the way as I continued up the trail. I was soon at the sketchy ledge crossing that I had been reading about. This ledge required me to jump and throw my leg up over it then carefully walk across with no handholds and a very steep ledge to my left dropping off to a no-fall zone. In wet or icy conditions this would be a no-go for me. I made it up over this ledge and was glad to leave it behind.

I arrived at the Middle Sister Trail and turned left. It was three tenths of a mile to the summit of Middle Sister. I spent some time exploring this summit. There was a stone foundation where once a groundhouse was built and not the usual fire tower. This was to keep a low profile that would not be seen from down below. I was not expecting such a deep pit where the foundation was built, it was probably fifteen feet deep. There was a bolted door on the passage through the bottom of the foundation.

The views were spectacular from this summit. Of course Mount Chocorua was nearby but many summits throughout the White Mountains could be seen from here. Also located on this summit is a large metal container with radio equipment. It was a great morning for lingering and basking.

I could see clouds moving this way off in the distance and knew that early afternoon rain was in the forecast so I started my descent. I took the Middle Sister Trail back down to the Carter Ledge Trail completing the loop. The Middle Sister Trail was a great choice as it is much kinder and gentler than Carter Ledge Trail. It was then one more mile to White Ledge Campground completing the hike. I saw no other hikers during the entire hike.

It was a fun day of exploring new trails and summits. With the month of October also being gridded out I look forward to more new hiking destinations!

Enjoy the photos and video!

The hike starts here in the White Ledge Campground



Mount Chocorua

The ledge scrambling is about to start

A view of the Sisters up ahead

A look back at the ledges I just came up

Avoiding the wet spots while crossing this granite slab

The hike is about to get interesting with the ledges up ahead

Another view of Mount Chocorua

This is a really sketchy area to get up over with a no-fall zone to the left

Was glad to make it past this section of ledge

A look back down from where I've been

Just came up over this ledge


Coming up to the summit of Middle Sister

Door to the bottom of the groundhouse foundation


Remaining foundation of the groundhouse

Deep pit with surrounding foundation

Mount Chocorua from Middle Sister

Zooming into Chocorua

Summit of Mount Chocorua

Surrounding mountains from Middle Sister

More mountains

...and more mountains

A view south

Chocorua Lake

Leaving the summit of Middle Sister

Clouds over the high summits

Cranmore Mountain and North Conway

A look back at Chocorua and Middle Sister

One last view from Middle Sister Trail

A serious crook in this tree

Crossing a brook

Found the mother lode of mushrooms

Completing the loop with one more mile to the trailhead

Back at the trailhead in White Ledge Campground


View From Middle Sister



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment