Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, September 12, 2021

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad on Moosilauke


Summit: Mount Moosilauke (4,802')
Trail route: Ravine Lodge Road, Gorge Brook Trail
Trail conditions: Dry with a few wet and muddy areas
Weather: Cool, cloudy, summit cloud covered and windy
Total miles: 8.5
Total time: 4:40

The weather forecast was not looking great for today but good enough to squeeze in a hike before possible rain. I needed Mount Moosilauke for September and it is a relatively short hike up the Gorge Brook Trail although one of the longer drives to a trailhead for me. I was hoping for no crowds, no clouds and no rain today.

It has been awhile since I have hiked up Gorge Brook when the upper gate to Ravine Lodge was open. I had forgotten that you can park along the road below the fork in the road just before the lodge so I ended up parking at the hiking parking area at the gate. I saw cars go by me and thought they were going to the Lodge. I thought it was rather odd that I was the only one at the parking area for this very popular hike. Sure enough, hikers were parking further up the road. This added six tenths of a mile each way making the total hiking distance just over eight miles round trip.

I passed some hikers and there were hikers that passed me along the trail. About half way up the wind started to pick up and I knew it would be howling at the summit. Before emerging from the treeline into the exposed area below the summit I layered up with rain jacket, hat and gloves. As expected it was very windy at the top although I have been up here when it was windier and much colder. A cloud layer consumed the summit and there were no views. It was definitely not a day for lingering and basking on the summit. There was no crowd while I was there.

I started my descent and removed a layer, gloves and hat when I got back below treeline. As I was heading down I met a photographer, Peter Gumaskas, using a 100-year old camera. We talked for awhile and he let me get a photo of him and his camera. In return I agreed to give his website a shout-out, petergumaskas.com.

I continued my descent as a steady stream of hikers were coming up. It was a pleasant hike down. Back on the road walk there was a long line of cars parked beside the road on my way to the lower parking area. There was just my truck and one other vehicle parked there. I guess I wasn't the only one that didn't get the memo.

At the start of the hike I was hoping for no crowds on the summit, no rain during the entire hike and no clouds obscuring the views. I figured two out of three ain't bad and I've already seen the views on several previous hikes to this summit. 

I now have two more hikes to grid out September. I'll be hoping for better weather than what I experienced today.

Enjoy the photos and video!

View on the drive to the trailhead

Road walk

The hike starts here

Another bridge crossing

Third bridge crossing

View from the trail

Another view

Cloud cover is lowering

Wet and muddy section of trail


Above treeline

Summit up ahead

No views from the summit today

A look back at the summit


Met photographer Peter Gumaskas and his 100 year old camera

100 year old camera

Leaves changing color

Gorge Brook




Last bridge crossing of the day


Ravine Lodge

Black-Eyed Susans

Asters

Back at the parking area

The last few steps to the summit of Mount Moosilauke



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment