Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Hiking The Carters Again


Summits: Carter Dome (4,832') South Carter (4,430'), Middle Carter (4,610')
Trail route: Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, Carter Dome Trail, Carter-Moriah Trail, North Carter Trail, Imp Trail, Imp Connector to Dodge Camp, Road walk back to parking lot
Trail conditions: Wet trail from overnight rain, mud and running water on some trails
Weather: Cool start and breezy conditions with warm finish
Total miles: 12
Total time:  7:37

The weather was looking favorable for a hike to the Carters including Carter Dome, South Carter and Middle Carter. I need four hikes and a total of ten summits to grid out the month meaning I will have hiked every 48 4,000 footer in September. 

I didn't get an early start since there would be no heat, humidity, crowds or long drives. I was on the trail around 7:30 AM. The trail was wet from recent rain and muddy in a few spots but not a problem. I made the turn onto Carter Dome Trail and it was a good hike up to Zeta Pass.

As I continued up there was a cool wind blowing and I put on a fleece layer and gloves. I started seeing my first hikers just below the summit of Carter Dome. There was one more hiker on the summit who soon departed and I had the top to myself. I didn't stay long and turned around heading back down from the summit on my way to South Carter.

Back at Zeta Pass I stopped long enough for something to eat. I continued on the Carter-Moriah Trail to South Carter. There were two hikers on the summit when I arrived. I stopped for a photo then kept going to my next summit Middle Carter.

The wind was blowing steady and quite cool in the exposed areas. I found the summit stick on Middle Carter and then kept going. I turned onto the North Carter Trail and it was its usual wet self. I just walked down through the flowing water. I saw my last hiker on the Imp Trail.

I used the Imp Connector to Dodge Camp. I had seen online that this shortcut through Dodge Camp was not to be used but I saw no signs of this. I even waved to a few people while I passed through and there were no problems or indications that taking this shortcut was unacceptable.

The hiking loop was complete when I arrived back at the parking lot. The lot was almost full so that explains all the hikers I saw today. There was also several NOBO AT through hikers on the trail. It was a beautiful day to be out hiking and I sure didn't miss the heat and humidity that I experienced during recent previous hikes.

With three summits down today I now have seven more summits for this month to grid out September. I'm hoping the favorable weather continues.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Sunrise on the drive to the trailhead

The hike starts here

Nineteen Mile Brook

Convenient bridge

Arriving at Carter Dome Trail

Aster

Water crossing

Lots of mushrooms along the trails

Another easy water crossing

Unusual mushroom growing from a decaying tree stump

Normal looking mushroom on a decaying tree stump

Presidential summits are in the clouds

On the summit of Carter Dome

South Carter and Middle Carter my next summits for today



On the summit of South Carter

View from the trail

Middle Carter

Presidential summits still in the clouds

Middle Carter up ahead

Middle Carter summit stick

View from Middle Carter

Another view from the summit

On the summit of Middle Carter

Mount Lethe up ahead

A good place for bog bridges


A wet North Carter Trail


On the Imp Trail

Wet Imp Trail

Twin mushrooms

Walking through Dodge Camp

Asters and bees

Back at the trailhead the loop is complete


View from the Carter-Moriah Trail

View from Middle Carter



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!





No comments:

Post a Comment