Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Friday, September 17, 2021

No Views on the Tripyramids


Summits: North Tripyramid (4,180'), Middle Tripyramid  (4,140')
Trail route: Pine Bend Brook Trail
Trail conditions: Wet and slippery
Weather: Warm, slightly humid and cloudy
Total miles: 9.6
Total time:  5:55

It was almost a spur of the moment decision to hike today. I needed two more hikes to grid out September. The weather was not looking great but there was no rain in the forecast so it was a go. 

This was going to be a later than usual start for me. The drive to the trailhead allowed me to check out the summits and it appeared the cloud ceiling was lowering. I especially enjoyed the drive across Bear Notch Road which has great views along the way. I parked across the road from the trailhead on the Kancamagus Highway. There was only one vehicle when I arrived.

I was on the trail just after 8:30. I started out with a thin long sleeve layer but soon found that it was warmer and a bit more humid than expected. I zipped off the pant legs and put on a short sleeve layer. It became a sultry sweaty slog up the steep section of the Pine Bend Brook Trail. I was glad to get up to the ridgeline where it was somewhat cooler.

I arrived on the summit of North Tripyramid and I had it to myself...for a few moments. A trail runner stopped briefly before running on. I also continued on to my next summit. It was a good hike over to Middle Tripyramid. There were two hikers on the summit when I arrived. The cloud cover was low and there were no views. My stay here was brief and I soon began my return trip.

On the way back to North Tripyramid I would see my last hiker of the day. This hiker had a pack on her back and was carrying her toddler in front, very impressive especially knowing the steep climb she had just done to get up here. I would have the trail to myself for the next 4.5 miles back to the trailhead. The trail was very wet and slick today causing me to slip a couple of times on the way down but I was able to catch myself before falling.

While it was a somewhat humid hike with no views I was glad to get these two summits done today. It was a day for close-up views along the trail. I now have one more hike to grid out September but it's going to be a long one, a 20-mile Zealand/Bonds traverse. I'll be weather watching and hoping to get this done next week!

Enjoy the photos!

The hike starts here

One of my favorite burls borrowing my brim

This mushroom was right in the middle of the trail undisturbed

A gathering of mushrooms

Mushroom and mini-me


More mushrooms on the trail

Hobblebush berries


On the ridgeline heading to North Tripyramid

Twins

No sign of the sign on the trail from North Slide


No views from the summit of Middle Tripyramid

Without the cloud cover there is a view to Waterville Valley from here

Trio of mushrooms

So no views today time to head back down

Mossy dog

View from the trail below the cloud cover


Blue bead lily

Mushrooms hang over a flowing brook



Pine Bend Brook

A last look at a favorite burl on the way out

Back at the trailhead

A view from Bear Notch Road



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment