Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, September 21, 2021

A Zealand Bonds Traverse Solo Hike


Summits:  Zealand (4,260'), Guyot (4,580'), West Bond (4,540'), Mount Bond (4,698'), Bondcliff (4,265') 
Trail route:  Zealand Trail, Twinway, Zeacliff Spur, Zealand Spur, Bondcliff Trail, West Bond Spur, Lincoln Woods Trail 
Trail conditions: Mostly dry with a few patches of mud and wetness 
Weather: Cool start quickly warming up with comfortable temps and sunshine throughout the hike
Total miles: 19.7
Total time:  11:07

I needed one more hike to finish hiking all 48 4,000 footers in the month of September. Today's weather was looking fantastic for this very long hike that passes over five summits and through the Pemigewasset Wilderness. This would also complete my hiking all 48 summits solo, some summits I've hiked solo many times.

There was a full moon overhead as I drove to the trailhead. The headlamp was needed as I started my hike just before 6:00 AM. It was only twenty minutes into the hike when it was bright enough to see the roots and rocks without the headlamp. It was a pleasant hike to Zealand Hut. I made a brief stop there before continuing on. 

From here it is a steady climb up to Zeacliff outlook. Clouds were still lifting on some of the surrounding mountains when I arrived at the outlook. There was a tent beside the trail where someone had camped last night. It was another brief stop then I was on my way to Zealand Mountain.

The air was cool and crisp with a hint of Fall that arrives tomorrow. When I reached the summit of Zealand there was a hiker already there. He had slept there last night and was packing up to continue his hike. It was another brief stop for me before moving on.

My next summit was Guyot, the trail passes over the top without much notice. Although the elevation of this mountain is 4,580 feet it is not on the 48 4,000 footer list. I turned south on the Bondcliff Trail. I dropped my pack at the West Bond spur and made a quick trip up to the summit where I had the top to myself for a moment. The views were spectacular today. Two hikers came up behind me and I went back down.

At the trail junction I picked up my pack and made my way up to the summit of Mount Bond. Once again I briefly had the summit to myself. After a few photos of the amazing views I started my descent and then the ascent to Bondcliff, my final summit of the day. I started seeing more hikers along the open ridge. I reached the top of Bondcliff where many hikers were enjoying the warm sunshine and cool breeze. I ate lunch here, a nice day for lingering and basking!

I continued my hike and it would be all downhill from here. Met a few hikers on their way up as I went down. I reached the bottom of Bondcliff Trail and braced myself for the long, monotonous 4.4 mile hike out to Lincoln Woods. I met no other hikers along here until I was almost out. I saw the suspension bridge that crosses the East Branch of the Pemigewasset River and it was a beautiful sight after 19.6 miles!

The Zealand/Bonds traverse is always a formidable hike for me and doing it solo brought it to a whole new level. This was the best and most enjoyable solo hike that I have ever done! It was a great hike for the last full day of summer!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

The hike starts here with headlamp

Bridge across the bog

Zealand Trail

Beaver pond

Zealand Pond reflection

View from Zealand Hut

Zealand Hut

Whitewall Brook

The sun is seconds away from cresting the mountain

Straddling a brook

Crossing Whitewall Brook

Enjoying the views from Zeacliff

View from Zeacliff

Another view from Zeacliff

New bog bridges on Twinway


Well-placed ladder

On Zealand Mountain

Crossing over Guyot Mountain

View of my next three mountains

Zoomed summit view of West Bond

On the summit of West Bond

Zooming in to Bondcliff

A look back at West Bond from Mount Bond

Descending Mount Bond on my way to Bondcliff

The perch on Bondcliff

On the summit of Bondcliff

Another view of the photo perch on Bondcliff

Descending Bondcliff

A look back up at Bondcliff

All water crossings were easy



Bridge over Franconia Brook

Franconia Brook

East Branch of the Pemigewasset River

The long dreary monotonous Lincoln Woods Trail

A sight for sore eyes and body is this bridge that completes the end of the hike

Happy to have 19.6 miles behind me

Sun is low at the end of the hike

Arriving home under a waning gibbous moon, 99.5% full


View From West Bond

View From Mount Bond

View From Bondcliff



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!







No comments:

Post a Comment