Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, October 23, 2021

Mount Cube via Cross Rivendell Trail


Summit: Mount Cube (2,909')
Trail route: Cross Rivendell Trail
Trail conditions: Mostly dry with some muddy sections
Weather: Cool and sunny with temps in the 30's
Total miles: 5
Total time:  3:35

Another hike and another 52 With a View summit. This was also another long drive for a short hike. There was a change in the weather with cooler Fall temps arriving this morning.

I used my phone GPS to direct me to the trailhead since this is a part of New Hampshire that I'm not familiar with. This is not the first time that I have relied on my GPS to get me to a trailhead in the western part of the state. The GPS brought me right to the trailhead. I was the first one there this morning. There was a small area to park along the road at the trailhead. There is another larger parking area just before the trailhead.

The Cross Rivendell Trail is a nice gradual climb. About a mile up the trail there is a clearing that provides a nice view through the trees. Beyond here there is a long stretch of muddy trail. Just before the summit there is some fun ledge scrambling. I spent a few minutes on the summit then continued on to the north peak for more views. It was well worth the extra few tenths of a mile for more spectacular views!

I had the entire summit area to myself which I found surprising on such a popular hike. As I started my descent a steady stream of hikers were coming up. There was a large group of hikers accompanying Alysia, a hiker completing her Redline List. This trail was her last one to finish hiking every trail in the AMC White Mountain Guide, an incredible accomplishment! 

At the back of this large group I saw a familiar couple, Richard and Heidi. I have been following their adventures and have met Richard on the hiking trail a couple of times. This was the first time meeting Heidi. It's always nice to see familiar faces on the trail! There were many more hikers coming up as I continued down to the trailhead. 

This was another fun non-4,000 foot hike. I have enjoyed exploring these 52 With a View hikes and summits. I now have five more summits to complete the list!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

The hike starts here

Fancy trail direction sign


View through an opening on the trail

About to do some ledge scrambling

Getting above the treetops for a view

Ledge scrambling


Coming up to the summit

Saw this on a mossy stump beside the trail

Trio

Helo passes by the summit

View from north peak

Mount Washington popping up behind a distant ridge

Mount Moosilauke

Low summits emerge through the undercast

A view to the east

On north peak

Descending smooth ledges


View from Mount Cube summit

Descending

Met hikers Richard and Heidi on the trail whose adventures I follow

Spider web covering a hole in the ground

Leaves covering the trail this time of year can make it difficult to follow

Sunny side up mushroom



Back at the trailhead







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!






No comments:

Post a Comment