Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Mount Israel


Beautiful Fall weather was in the forecast and I thought it would be a good day for another 52 With a View summit. Today would be a long drive for a short hike to Mount Israel. The drive was two hours and the hike was four miles round trip.

I was on the road before daylight and arrived at the trailhead in full sunshine. There were only two other cars in the parking lot with room for many more. One hiker was heading up the trail just before me. 

The Wentworth Trail is an easy and enjoyable hike to the summit. There is a nice outlook just below the summit that has views toward the Lakes Region. I met the other hiker when I arrived at the summit. There are spectacular views of mountains to the west. I could see many summits that I have already climbed, Moosilauke, Sandwich, Tripyramids, Whiteface, Passaconaway, the Sisters and Chocorua.

There was a cool wind blowing across the summit and it felt good after a long hot and humid summer. I began my descent and it was a nice hike back to the trailhead. I saw several hikers on their way up but certainly not the crowds that I normally hear about that hike this summit.

This was a beautiful Fall day for hiking and I was glad I chose this summit. I now have six more peaks to complete the 52 With a View list. I hope to get these done before the snow arrives!

Enjoy the photos and video! 

The hike starts here

A carpet of colorful leaves to walk on

A mushroom rises sideways through the moss


Sandwich Mountain

Tripyramids and West Sleeper

Whiteface and Passaconaway

The Sisters and Mount Chocorua

Mount Moosilauke

Standing by the summit cairn on Mount Israel

Twin mushrooms

View from the outlook

Another view of the lakes region from the outlook

Blue sky through Fall leaves

Leaves on a brook

A sprout growing up through the middle of this mushroom

Back at the trailhead

A look back after departing Mead Base

View of the Presidential summits on the drive home





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment