Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Icy Hike Across Lincoln and Lafayette


Summits: Mount Lincoln (5,089'), Mount Lafayette (5,260') 
Trail route: Falling Waters Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Greenleaf Trail, Old Bridle Path   
Trail conditions: Considerable ice on the trails past Shining Rock spur path, across the ridge and down to Greenleaf Hut
Weather: Cool temps, light wind, sunshine with clouds moving across the ridge
Total miles: 8.8
Total time: 6:35

After watching the forecast over the past couple of days it looked like the weather was going to be favorable above treeline today although a storm was moving in late day. My plan was to get an early start and be done by noon or early afternoon.

I arrived at the parking lot to find only a few vehicles ahead of me. The trail was dry to start but at about 3,400' elevation I found it necessary to put on my rock spikes as there was unavoidable ice. There was a few tricky sections to get over on the way up. A cool wind was blowing and I added a layer before continuing up to the summit.

When I reached the summit of Little Haystack Mountain I swapped to my better microspikes after seeing the trail of ice on the ridge. This turned out to be the right choice as the ice continued over Mount Lincoln and Mount Lafayette. Clouds moved across the ridge but I managed to stay ahead of the thick clouds that were on their way up from the south. 

I was able to enjoy each summit by myself for a few moments as there were very few hikers up here today as compared to the other times that I have done this popular hike when the ridge and summits have been very crowded. I descended to Greenleaf Hut and took a break for something to eat and to remove the microspikes.

The ice quickly disappeared past the hut and it was a good hike down. There were many hikers coming up and I was trying my best to keep the social distancing and the other hikers were doing the same. 

I was back at the parking lot at 1:00 PM just as I had planned. It was a very enjoyable hike along the Franconia Ridge today, views were spectacular! 

Enjoy the photos and video!

The hike starts here

Starting the loop

Easy water crossing

On the Falling Waters Trail



Large icicles


More ice


The microspikes are on

A tricky spot to get up and over

Following a path of ice across Franconia Ridge

A view from the ridge

The icy path continues

Mount Lincoln up ahead

Frosty spruce

Sun through thin cloud cover

Presidential summits in the distance

Undercast

A thick coating of ice

Ascending Mount Lincoln

Looking back from where I've been

View from Lincoln

Glad the microspikes are on across this ice

Clouds are moving up from the south

Ascending Mount Lafayette

Icy glaze on this ledge

View from Mount Lafayette

On the summit of Mount Lafayette

Descending Lafayette as clouds move in

Clouds move out

View of the Kinsmans

Southern view

Greenleaf Hut up ahead

Eagle Lake

Franconia Ridge from Greenleaf Hut

Franconia Notch

Clouds lifting off the ridge

Shining Rock with a glaze of ice

Standing under a tree

A last look up at Mount Lincoln before heading home




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment