Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Pristine Sky Over Adams and Madison


Summits: Mount Adams (5,774'), Mount Madison (5,367')
Trail route: Air Line, Gulfside Trail, Osgood Trail, Valley Way 
Trail conditions: Mostly dry trail on Air Line, lots of wet trail on Valley Way
Weather: Cool to warm temps, blue sky and sunshine, breezy on Adams, windy on Madison 
Total miles: 10
Total time:  7:48

With continued unseasonably warm weather it appeared to be a great day to get above treeline. Adams and Madison seemed like a good choice with lots of exposure high above treeline.

I got another early start but it was just light enough to not need the headlamp. I had forgotten how steep this trail gets on the way up to Durand Ridge but there was no snow or ice anywhere on the trail. The wind was blowing high up in the trees and I was thinking it was going to be tough above treeline.

I emerged from treeline onto the exposed ridge and the wind was not that bad. What was more bothersome was the sun just coming up over the mountain and directly in my line of sight going up the trail. It's a good thing thing I brought the sunglasses.

As I neared the summit of Mount Adams there were two hikers just leaving and I had the top to myself. The wind had actually calmed down to a steady breeze. There was not a cloud in the sky and the panoramic views were spectacular. I didn't stay long and was soon on my way back down and heading to Madison Spring Hut.

I arrived at the hut and found a warm spot in the sun. I stopped for something to eat before heading up Mount Madison. Two hikers arrived and continued up to the summit of Madison. I was soon on my way up and noticed the wind was starting to increase. 

When I arrived at the summit of Mount Madison there was a very strong steady wind blowing with gusts almost pushing me over at times. Even with all that blue sky and sunshine it was not a day for basking on the summit. A few hard earned photos and video then it was time to make my descent. It would be all downhill from here.

Back at the hut I took another break. I had something to eat again and went down to a short sleeve layer as the temperature was almost 70 degrees. I saw several hikers while at the hut coming and going from different directions. It was time for me to continue my descent back to the parking lot at Appalachia.

The Valley Way Trail was very wet at the top but was dry down lower. Two hours later I was back at the parking lot. Today's unusually nice weather was spectacular for this hike above treeline. I was fortunate to be able to take advantage of this stretch of warm weather and have hiked 41 miles over 9 summits in the past 5 days. But the cold temps are about to return and winter hiking conditions are not far off in this month of November.

Enjoy the photos and videos!    

A view of my destinations on the drive to Appalachia

The hike starts here at daylight



First view of Mount Adams from the trail

Warning!

Emerging from treeline

A look down into King Ravine


A look across King Ravine

Crag Camp

The wind was blowing me into the ledge and not into King Ravine

The sun was in my direct line of sight on Durand Ridge


Shadows in King Ravine


This ermine was darting in and out of the rocks

Getting closer

Summit is up ahead

On the summit of Mount Adams

Mount Jefferson

Descending Adams

On my way to Mount Madison

Star Lake

The only snow I walked through


Madison Spring Hut and Mount Madison

Arriving at Madison Spring Hut

A break at the hut before hiking up Madison

Ascending Mount Madison

Mount Washington in the distance

Mount Adams

Arriving at the summit of Mount Madison

Northwest view

On the windy summit of Mount Madison 

Descending Valley Way

Last view before dipping below treeline

Another warning

An area of blowdowns nicely cleaned up

Back at the trailhead





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment