Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, November 17, 2020

A Taste of Winter on the Carters


Summits: Carter Dome (4,832') South Carter (4,430'), Middle Carter (4,610')
Trail route: Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, Carter Dome Trail, Carter-Moriah Trail, North Carter Trail, Imp Trail, Imp Connector to Dodge Camp, Road walk back to parking lot
Trail conditions: Bare trail to start then an inch of new snow at higher elevations
Weather: Cold temps and wind, overcast sky
Total miles: 12
Total time:  7:46

I had no hiking plans for today until I woke up this morning. I was feeling good and the weather forecast was looking favorable so I decided to hike Carter Dome. I needed all three Carters for November but I was getting a late start. The plan was just one summit today and go back another day for the other two summits. 

I arrived at the parking lot and I was the second one there. It was after 8:00 AM before I was on the trail. There was bare ground to start and I was not sure what the trail conditions would be as I got further up in elevation. 

When I reached the Carter Dome Trail junction there was a coating of snow. I was feeling pretty good and the trail and weather conditions were good. I was now starting to think that I might add South and Middle Carters today. I decided that if I got back down to Zeta Pass from Carter Dome at noontime I would continue on to the other two summits.

I was following one set of fresh footprints in the fresh snow. The footprints turned off to South Carter at Zeta Pass and I continued up to Carter Dome. There was never more than an inch of fresh snow but it was covering up any hidden ice below on the trail. I was still doing well without traction.

I had the summit to myself. I got a quick photo in snowy conditions and then started back down after putting on my microspikes. At 12:05 I was back at Zeta Pass so I continued on to South Carter. The temperature was dropping, the wind was picking up and there was a bite to the windchill. 

There were more footprints in the snow on the trail. I reached the summit of South Carter, took a photo and continued on. It was just past this summit that I met Hiker Ed returning from Middle Carter and on his way to Carter Dome. Ed is a hiking legend in the White Mountains having done the Grid multiple times. I have met Ed several times on the trails. He would be the only hiker that I would meet on the trails today.

Along the way to Middle Carter it was very cold in the exposed areas. Even down in the trees along the ridge was getting cold. I made a quick stop beside the trail on the summit of Middle Carter and continued on. I made the turn onto North Carter Trail and it was all downhill from here.

There was running water on the trail and more water to negotiate once on the Imp Trail. The microspikes came off at the Imp Trail junction. The snow diminished as I got lower and as I made the turn onto the Imp Connector to Dodge Camp the snow was gone. Dodge Camp was a ghost town as I walked through. I was soon out on Route 16 doing the road walk back to the parking area.

I arrived back at 19 Mile Brook trailhead parking lot to find only two vehicles, my truck and Hiker Ed's truck. By now it was starting to get dark. Took one more photo at the trailhead sign completing the 12 mile loop. I was glad that I got all three Carters today. It was a great day to be hiking in the White Mountains!

Enjoy the photos and video!

The hike starts here at the 19 Mile Brook Trail

Bare ground on the lower section of trail

19 Mile Brook

Thin coating of snow on this bridge

Dam photo

Thin coating of snow at the Carter Dome Trail junction

Carefully crossing on snow-covered rocks

Another careful water crossing



On the summit of Carter Dome

On the summit of South Carter

A look back at Carter Dome in the distance

A look ahead to Middle Carter

Trying to get a view

On the summit of Middle Carter

A slight view ahead

Cold and windy through here

Momentary view of the sun

Looking back at where I've been

Bog bridges are covered


Running water on the North Carter Trail


On the Imp Trail

Burl

Last water crossing

Imp connector to Dodge Camp


A very vacant Dodge Camp

The road walk back to 19 Mile Brook trailhead

Me and Hiker Ed are the last ones in the parking lot

After 12 miles the loop is complete




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment