Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, November 8, 2020

Sunday Morning on the Twins


Summits: North Twin Mountain (4,761'), South Twin Mountain (4,902')
Trail route: North Twin Trail, North Twin Spur
Trail conditions: Wet with muddy sections
Weather: Blue sky, sunshine and warm temps
Total miles: 11.2
Total time:  6:59

The stretch of unseasonably warm weather continues and I wanted to hike the Twins before they closed the gate on Haystack Road. The trailhead is 2.5 miles at the end of this road. 

I arrived at the trailhead parking lot at 6:00AM and it was full so I parked along the road. It was just light enough that I did not require the headlamp. I took the herd path and crossed the river at the third crossing. It was a little tricky but I had dry feet when I got to the other side.

The trail started its steady upward grade on the other side of the river. I met a few hikers on their way down that had caught the sunrise views early this morning. I arrived at the North Twin outlook and was rewarded with spectacular views. 

I continued on to South Twin. There was plenty of mud between these summits but no snow or ice. The temperature was warming up and when I reached the summit there was only a light breeze blowing. There were many hikers on the summit but I found a spot all to myself. It was a nice morning for basking while I had something to eat. 

As more hikers were arriving it was getting crowded and I started my hike back. I met many hikers along the way. It was back up over North Twin and down, across the river and out the herd path to the parking lot. It was a pleasant hike back.

These two summits completed my 6th round of the 48 4,000 footers. I hope to hike a few more summits this week while the great weather continues!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Hike starts at first light

Little River

Fire Warden's Trail to Mount Hale starts here

Crossed the Little River here and maintained dry feet

View from just below the summit of North Twin

Presidential summits above a low cloud cover

Mount Washington

A view with lots of summits

View of South Twin

South Twin summit

View from the South Twin outlook

Galehead Hut

Crooked tree

South Twin is seen in the distance

Small patches of snow were seen beside the trail

Muddy section of trail

South Twin up ahead

A look back at North Twin

Presidential summits in the distance


Franconia Ridge and Mount Garfield from South Twin

Mount Garfield

Mount Lafayette

On the summit of South Twin

A great day for basking

This plane gets a bird's-eye view of the summits

Northwest view

Back through the mud

Back up and over North Twin

Around and up this ledge

Blue sky

A view of Peak Above the Nubble

A very convenient bog bridge over mud

Back across the river

Passing by the Fire Warden's Trail again

Passed by this water crossing on the herd path

Back at the trailhead






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!








No comments:

Post a Comment