Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Weekday on the Osceolas


Summits: Mount Osceola (4,340'), East Osceola (4,156')
Trail route: Mount Osceola Trail from Tripoli Road
Trail conditions: Dry to wet to icy up Mt Osceola then dry over to East Osceola
Weather: Cool and cloudy with light snow flurries
Total miles: 8.4
Total time:  6:00

A new month and more summits that I needed for December. It had been ten days since my last hike so I was anxious to get out on the trail. The weather was questionable and calling for a chance of preciptation ranging from light rain showers to snow showers. I was ready for whatever might fall.

I was hoping that the Tripoli Road gate would still be open, it was and I headed to the Osceola trailhead parking lot. I was the second one to arrive. I was on the trail and heading up to Mount Osceola just before 7:00 AM. I saw the sun rise through the trees and that would be the only time I saw the sun today.

I could tell there was a lot of rain in the recent storm we had. The trail was very wet and water was flowing down brooks that are usually dry or have very little water flow. As I got up higher ice started appearing on the trail. When I got to the trail ledges there was a coating of ice and it made for some tough going to safely get by those areas. I managed without traction but I thought that might change on my way down.

Just before the summit the trail is usually very muddy but it was frozen solid and I walked right over it. When I reached the summit I had some views but high clouds were moving in and touching some of the distant summits. I continued on to East Osceola.

The trail over to East Osceola was dry and there was no significant ice that needed to be avoided. I took the bypass down past the chimney. There was a trickle of ice on the chimney. It was an easy ascent of East Osceola. I stayed on the summit for a couple of minutes then started my return trip.

On the way back to Mount Osceola I took the bypass again. Once on the summit of Osceola I didn't even stop and started the descent to the trailhead. It was all downhill from here. Once I reached the icy section of trail the rock spikes went on. I found it a little easier to get past the ice with the microspikes on but even with traction it was slow going.

I had met several hikers along the way, most hoping to get this hike in before the road gate closed. As I was making my descent light snow flurries started falling. By the time I got down to the parking lot there was some minor accumulation. 

I was glad to get this hike in before the road closed which should happen any day now. These summits can still be reached from the Kancamagus Highway but I prefer the Tripoli Road approach. I have several other hikes that I need for this month that require long road walks due to being closed in winter. This can be a tough month for hiking with the road walks, weather and trail conditions. I have lots of summits that I still need to hike in December for my grid quest. I look forward to the adventure!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

I was the second vehicle in the parking

Sunrise through the trees

Clouds moving in

Icy ledges on the trail

More ice

East Osceola from Mount Osceola

Chocorua and the Sisters just below the clouds

Clouds touching the Tripyramid summits

Sunshine in the valley

On my way to East Osceola

Dry trail on the way down to the Chimney

Descending Osceola before ascending East Osceola

Me and the summit cairn on East Osceola

On my way back to Mount Osceola

Kancamagus Highway far below

Hancock Outlook on the Kancamagus Highway

Looking up the chimney

Chimney bypass

Waterville Valley ski area

Clouds move over East Osceola

Osceola summit up ahead

Clouds remove the views from Mount Osceola

Frosty trees on Osceola

Dealing with trail ice on descent

One last view from the trail

Light snow accumulation as I return to the trailhead






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!






2 comments:

  1. Wow!
    Having fun?
    Those icy ledges look pretty dangerous to me!
    Hope your wife has your agenda, in case you slide off one of these trails & you’re up there ALONE!
    Stay safe while you’re having FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tough ledges were ice free. I always leave my agenda behind and carry a Spot locator...so I can be found!

      Delete