Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Wet Wildcats


Summit: Wildcat D (4,062'), Wildcat A (4,422')
Trail route: Polecat Ski Trail, Wildcat Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: WET!!!
Weather: Cool and clammy, overcast
Total miles: 9.36
Total time:  6:11

There was torrential rain in the mountains yesterday causing flash flooding in some areas. I knew it would be a wet hike wherever I went but wanted to avoid any major water crossings. A hike to the Wildcats did not have any water crossings and I needed both summits for July. This would be an up and back hike from the Wildcat Ski Area.

My plan was to take the access road on the Polecat ski trail up to the summit in order to avoid hiking through wet vegetation. This was working well as it was very wet everywhere. I met an AT thru-hiker coming down the access road as I was going up. He had slept on the summit last night and was going into Gorham today.

The clouds appeared to be lifting and clearing over the Presidential summits. This was short-lived and I was soon up into the cloud cover as I reached the summit of Wildcat D. I had the summit to myself but there were no views and I continued on to Wildcat A.

The trail was very wet and required careful foot placement to keep from slipping especially on the steep ledge areas. I also got a good soaking from brushing up against tree branches and bushes. I met no other hikers on my way over to Wildcat A. I reached the summit and once again there were no views. This was not a big deal to me as I've seen the views from here many times.

This was my turn around point and after something to eat I was on my way back from whence I came. I met many hikers on their way to Wildcat A. I thought some of bushwhacking around Wildcat D following the 3,800 foot contour line. I started in but it became very wet and I decided to try this another time.

There were hikers on the Wildcat D observation tower but again no views and I kept going without stopping. It was not until I was on my way down the Polecat Trail that I dropped below the cloud cover. I checked the location on the 3,800 foot contour line of where I would've come out had I bushwhacked. It looked very doable so maybe the next hike to the Wildcats I'll add a short bushwhack adventure.

I saw no other hikers on the Polecat Trail. It's worth mentioning that the ski slopes were bursting with color from blooming wildflowers. When I reached the bottom I looked back up at the summit to find that the clouds were clearing and had lifted. The clouds were still hanging onto the Presidential summits.

I was glad to get out on the trail today even with the wet trail conditions. At least the temperature and lower humidity were within my tolerable range. Increased temperatures and high humidity are returning so this will definitely have an affect on my hiking decisions this weekend.

Enjoy the photos!

Summit is in the clouds as I start my hike up the mountain

Wet daisy

Tall meadow rue

A look back

Lots of blooming wildflowers on the ski slopes today

Clouds appear to be lifting

Hiking up into the cloud cover

Summit is up ahead

No views from the picnic table

Going up to Wildcat D

No view from the summit observation tower

Lots of slugs out enjoying the wet conditions

A slippery sloping bog bridge

More bog bridges

Amanita Frostiana

Water flowing down the trail

Wet slippery ledges


Wet spider web

Wildcat A up ahead in the cloud cover

Wildcat A view

On the summit of Wildcat A

No view today

Over the bog bridges on the way back

Wet trail

Muddy trail

Cloud cover lingers

Passing through Larry's rock and a hard place

Oozing mushroom

A view below the cloud cover

Descending Wildcat D

View from the gondola/chairlift

Autumn hawkbit

Buttercup

Descending the ski slope on a very wet access road

View from Polecat Trail

Clouds still hanging onto the summits


No skiing on this trail today

Dark green fritillary

Orange hawkweed



Bird's-foot trefoil

Spreading dogbane


Small garter snake





Clouds clearing and lifting off the summit at the end of the hike



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment