Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Monday, July 6, 2020

Gridding Out Tecumseh


Summit: Mount Tecumseh (3,997')
Trail route: Mount Tecumseh Trail from Tripoli Road
Trail conditions: Dry
Weather: Warm and slightly humid with sunshine
Total miles: 6.2
Total time:  3:40

Today would be hike #12 for Mount Tecumseh, hiking this summit in every month of the year. The plan was to hike up Mt Tecumseh Trail from Tripoli Road. I prefer this route to the summit rather than from the ski area approach. The Tripoli Road side has always been less crowded and a more gradual climb than from the other side although an extra two miles round trip.

On the drive to the trailhead I passed by Cannon Mountain and once again saw a large black bear grazing high up on a ski slope. I assume it's the same bear that I have been seeing up there for the past month.

There were a couple of cars ahead of me when I arrived at the parking lot. There were a few mosquitoes to greet me but very tolerable and did not require bug spray. I was on my way and soon came to the water crossing which was easy with very little water in Eastman Brook.

It was a nice morning hike to the summit. I was expecting a crowd at the top with hikers also coming from the other side but there was only one hiker when I arrived. Two more hikers came up behind me. I stayed long enough to get some photos then started my descent.

It was a pleasant hike down and there were several hikers on their way up. The temperature was getting warmer and I was glad I got the early start.

I have now gridded out Tecumseh and hiked to this summit in every month of the year. Today I reached 376 peaks toward the grid with 200 peaks remaning on my way to 576 peaks to complete the 48 4,000 footer grid!

Enjoy the photos and video!

 The Cannon Mountain bear that I have seen several times in the past month while driving by

 The hike starts here

 Easy water crossing

 Interesting mushroom

 Cairn beside the trail

This tree may soon be a blowdown across the trail

A short spur path leads to this view

 The summit is in sight

 Getting closer

 Crooked tree

Final steep ascent to the summit

On the summit

Osceolas

Tripyramids

3,997 feet

North Tripyramid

Middle Tripyramid

Waterville Valley ski slopes

Heading back down to Tripoli Road

Descending view

Franconia Ridge

Bunchberry

Mushrooms

Turkey tail mushrooms

Burl

Leaf on a fern

Wood sorrell

The trailhead is up ahead

Relaxing before the drive home




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment