Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Welch and Dickey Loop Hike


My plan for today was to do two hikes. The first hike would be the Welch/Dickey loop. This is a long drive for me so since I was going to be in the same area of the state I would do a second hike to Stinson Mountain. All three of these mountains are on the 52 with a View list.

The Welch/Dickey loop is a very popular hike and I wanted to get there early to beat some of the crowd. I've passed by these summits numerous times on my way to hiking Mount Tecumseh but today would be my first time doing this loop hike.

I arrived at the trailhead and could tell this was a popular hike by the size of the large parking area. There were a few vehicles ahead of me so there were hikers on the trail already. I was soon on my way up the trail doing the loop counter clockwise meaning I would go up Welch Mountain first then over to Dickey Mountain.

It wasn't long before I arrived at the granite sidewalk that led to the start of the ledge scrambling. The ledge climbing and views were incredible and it continued to the summit of Welch Mountain. Then continuing over to Dickey Mountain the ledge scrambling continued. I took a spur path from Dickey out to a very large expanse of ledges that had some great views.

I started the descent on Dickey and the ledges continued. I kept thinking how difficult this hike would be in wet weather or in icy winter conditions, actually it would be downright dangerous in a few places along the way. So I was glad to be doing this on a warm, dry day.

I saw only two hikers along the entire loop so the early start was good. Back at the trailhead the parking lot was filling up and everyone must have been doing the hike counter clockwise for me not to see any hikers coming up the trail while I was going down.

This was a great hike and a lot of ledge scrambling fun with spectacular views! I'll add this to my favorite hikes list. I got back in the car and was on my way to the second hike of the day, Stinson Mountain.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Sunrise on the drive to the trailhead

The loop starts here

Easy under blowdown

Face mask hanging on a branch beside the trail

Granite sidewalk

The ledge walk is starting

Beautiful morning with a beautiful view

Full sunshine


Welch Mountain summit up ahead


Scrambling up


Going that way

Tight squeeze

Up more ledge

More ledge

Up on the summit of Welch Mountain looking over to Dickey Mountain

A look back


Heading up to Dickey Mountain

More ledge scrambling ahead


Dickey Mountain summit

Took a spur trail out to this ledge from Dickey Mountain





Back on the summit of Dickey Mountain

The ledge scrambling continues on descent



A view over to Welch Mountain

Dickey and Welch can be seen



A look back at Dickey

Last section of ledge on the way down


Trumpet mushroom


Back at the trailhead







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment