Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Stinson Mountain Hike


After hiking the Welch/Dickey loop I drove over to Stinson Mountain for my second hike of the day. This would be a 3.6 mile round trip hike and is on the 52 With a View list.

It was quite the drive over to the trailhead. I listened to my GPS and drove the long way around Stinson Lake. So here is the quick way. Just after passing the Three Ponds trailhead turn left onto Doetown Road and it will take you straight to the trailhead.

As I arrived at the trailhead a vehicle was leaving and I pulled in. There is room for five vehicles. I was soon on the trail and it was a gradual hike up to the summit. At one point there is a fork with a snowmobile trail going up to the left and the hiking trail going to the right. They both meet at the summit if one wants to do a loop hike. I chose not to.

At the summit there is the concrete remains of a fire tower. I took the spur path down to a cleared view of Stinson Lake. After hiking Welch/Dickey this morning with its spectacular views the views on this summit were limited and certainly not as impressive. I was soon on my way down.

There were hikers coming up as I was going down. I was surprised at the number of hikers I saw as this mountain is off the beaten path. I did enjoy the pleasant gradual trail with no steep sections. I'm glad that I did this hike after Welch/Dickey this morning as this would be a very long drive for me for such a short hike.

Enjoy the photos!

 From here it's 0.2 to the trailhead and 1.8 to the summit

 Trail follows alongside a stone wall

 Tree knob

 Puckered mushroom

 Hiding in plain sight

 I used caution

 Snowmobile trail goes to the left and hiking trail to the right meeting at the summit

 One trunk two trees

 View from the summit

 Stinson Lake from Stinson Mountain

 Looking down the snowmobile trail from the summit

 Tall meadow rue

 Nice trail

Back at the trailhead


Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment