Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Thursday, July 9, 2020

Sultry Morning Hike to Mount Moriah


Summit: Mount Moriah (4,049')
Trail route: Carter-Moriah Trail
Trail conditions: Wet, muddy
Weather: Cool and humid to start with some fog, hot and humid to finish with sunshine
Total miles: 9
Total time:  6:10

There was heat and humidity in the forecast. These conditions were expected to last through the weekend and into next week so I definitely wanted to get a hike in today. I am very intolerant of this kind of weather and it prompted me to get an early start.

I was the first one to arrive at the parking area this morning. I was on the trail at 5:20 AM. It was a foggy drive on the way here and there was a slight fog in the woods. The trail was wet and the trees were dripping from yesterday's rain so it was a muggy start. There were a few mosquitoes and black flies but not enough of a bother to use bug spray.

Not quite a mile up the trail I noticed recent logging operations. I would get a better idea of the extent of the clearcutting on my way back down as it was rather foggy through here. Coming up to the ledges I used some extra caution due to the wet granite. Up on the higher ledges of the trail there was a good view of the undercast below which was keeping the valley in the fog.

No other hikers passed me on the way up so I was the first and only one on the summit. There was just a slight breeze under the hot sun. I sat there and let the sweat evaporate off of me and changed into a dry shirt which felt much better. I had something to eat and took some photos then was soon on my way back down knowing it was only going to get hotter.

I passed four hikers coming up as I went down. When I reached the clearcut I left the trail and did a little exploring. This area does not even look familiar to me with the large area of trees that are now gone. There is the usual slash from a logging operation that has been left behind. About the only "positive" aspect of this logging is that it has opened up some views that I hadn't seen before.

I was back down at the trailhead before noon and the only thing that was on my mind was to cool off. I drove the few minutes to the Stony Brook trailhead parking, went down to the brook and walked in. The cool water felt great!

The humidity exceeded my comfort level today and I was glad to have completed this hike. With more of this weather on the way I'm not sure how soon I'll be venturing out on the hiking trails again.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

The hike starts here at 5:20 AM

Recent logging that I haven't seen before in past hikes to this summit

Logging slash

Sun coming up

Getting above the morning fog

Logging opened up new views along the trail

Big burl

Trailside mushrooms

Sheep laurel

Sheep laurel amongst reindeer lichen

Walk around blowdown

Adams and Madison between the trees

Undercast below

Wet ledges from recent rain

View from the ledges

Presidential summits

More undercast

Opening through overturned tree routes

Bump on a log

Muddy start to get to the bog bridges

Bog bridges were much needed through this section

Spider web just off the trail

Easy under blowdown

Almost at the summit

On the summit

Shelburne Moriah Mountain

Southern view

Mount Washington

Mount Jefferson

Mount Adams

Mount Madison

Lingering undercast

The Carters

Clouds are forming

Descending

Bunchberry blooming

Back across the bog bridges

Down over the ledges

Reindeer lichen

Clouds forming over the Presidential summits

Gonna need a new blaze tree

Passing through the logging clearcut


New views have opened up along the trail


An open view to Gorham

Trailhead is in sight

Mount Moriah after the hike

Cooling off the feet in Stony Brook and it felt great!






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment