Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Out and Back to Speckled Mountain


Summit: Speckled Mountain (2,906')
Trail route: Spruce Hill Trail, Bickford Brook Trail
Trail conditions: Dry with a few minor wet spots   
Weather: Warm with lots of sunshine
Total miles: 6.2
Total time:  4:15

Once again I was looking to hike a few trails and a summit that I hadn't been to before. So it was back to Evans Notch for a hike to Speckled Mountain. I haven't done a lot of hiking this summer due to hot and humid temps. It was nice to finally get some tolerable weather in the forecast today.

I arrived at the trailhead parking area to find only one other car. I thought I would probably be the only one on the trail since most people that park here hike to the Royces. There was a gradual climb to start but it was a nice trail and only got better with very few rocks and roots. 

About a mile into the hike I met three other hikers ahead of me. One was a former Navy man like myself and we all hiked together swapping sea stories to the summit.

There were two hikers on the summit that had come up Blueberry Ridge Trail. The summit was open and clear with spectacular views. It was a great day for lingering and basking. All the other hikers departed and I had the summit to myself. After some pics and a snack I started my descent back to the trailhead.

I reached the three hikers that I had hiked up with and I hiked down with them. It was an enjoyable hike back to the trailhead! A great day to get out for a hike to Speckled Mountain! 

Enjoy the photos and video!

Sunrise on the drive to the trailhead

The hike starts here

Hobblebush berries

Hobblebush leaves changing color


View of North Baldface from the trail

On Spruce Hill Trail

Sweaty mushrooms

Mushrooms are out



On the Bickford Brook Trail

On the summit with a view past Carter Notch to Mount Washington

Northwest view

Northern view

A view past Wildcat A to Mount Washington

Mount Jefferson

Mount Adams

Mount Madison

Concrete footing from former fire tower

Passing through a field of ferns

I really enjoyed this trail

Puffball mushrooms

Turkey tail mushrooms

Back at the trailhead




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment