Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Up Tuckerman Ravine to Boott Spur


Summit: Boott Spur (5,500')
Trail route: Tuckerman Ravine Trail, Lawn Cutoff, Davis Path, Boott Spur Trail
Trail conditions: Dry, wet areas from recent rain and wet slippery rocks on Boott Spur Trail  
Weather: Warm, sunshine with lots of fair weather clouds
Total miles: 7.4
Total time:  6:38

After not having done any tough hikes since the Presi Traverse in July I was looking for some challenging trails and a high summit. Going up Tuckerman Ravine Trail and over to Boott Spur and down Boott Spur Trail seemed to fit these requirements. Favorable weather was in the forecast with possible showers late in the day but I hoped to be down by then.

There was plenty of parking at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center and I was soon on my way up the trail. I met a few hikers along the way going up Tuckerman Ravine Trail but the crowd was not bad. I reached the Hermit Lake cabin and took a short break to apply some sun screen and have a quick snack. I stopped at the water pump and topped off my water bottle.

I was into full sunshine with occasional clouds passing over as I climbed up the headwall. It was wet in spots from recent rain. There was one sketchy spot that is on the way to becoming completely washed out. I quickly passed this spot and took a photo to show this trail hazard, was probably my least favorite spot of the day.

I reached the trail junction for the Lawn Cutoff and made the turn toward Boott Spur. It was a pleasant hike across this section of trail that brought me to the Davis Path. A short walk on the Davis Path and I turned onto Boott Spur Trail.

I reached the summit of Boot Spur and looked around for a summit marker. All I found was what appeared to be a hole drilled into the granite. I considered this to be the summit and so did my GPS. The clouds were rising up all around me and it was a spectacular show. I didn't stay long and soon began my descent.

It was a long ways down, seemed even long when I got below treeline and had to contend with wet, slippery rocks. I slowed down and carefully watched my step to keep from slipping on the rocks. When I arrived back at the Tuckerman Ravine Trail I officially completed the loop. It was then a short hike back to the Pinkham Notch visitor Center parking lot.

It was nice to get above treeline again and the weather cooperated by holding off on any showers during my hike. This was a challenging hike for me today that I thoroughly enjoyed!  

Enjoy the photos and videos!

A lone cloud covers the summit of Mount Washington on the drive to the trailhead

Status board at the trailhead

Good water flow after recent rain


Crystal Cascade

The loop starts here going up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail

Mushrooms are out

My destination is in the clouds but cleared by the time I got there

Arriving at the Hermit Lake cabin

Clouds over Tuckerman Ravine

Passing the first-aid cache


White meadowsweet

Aster

Headwall from the floor of the ravine

A look back

Under the headwall

Climbing up

Waterfall on the headwall

Soft-leaf arnica

Crossing a wet section

Continuing up

Looking across the headwall

A very sketchy spot and a definite no-fall zone

A view down to the ravine floor

Water flowing above the headwall

A patch of asters

Clouds rising up over a ridge


Met this grasshopper

Alpine berries


Making the turn toward Boott Spur

Cairns are lined up

Following the cairns

A look back at Mount Washington


Another look back

Boott Spur up ahead

Southern Presidential summits


As close to a summit marker as I could find

Mount Washington

Mount Washington summit

A view into Pinkham Notch

Clouds over Pinkham Notch

Descending Boott Spur

Clouds on the Carters and Wildcats

A short section of flat trail 


Mount Washington and Tuckerman Ravine

Glen Boulder from Boott Spur Trail


A view into Tuckerman Ravine

Mushroom covered in mold



A look back up from where I just came down


Convenient bog bridge

One last view from the trail

A steep ladder


Crossing the Sherburne Ski Trail

Back at the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and the loop is complete

The hike ends here at Pinkham Notch Visitor Center







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!






No comments:

Post a Comment