Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, September 27, 2022

A Hike to Stratton Mountain


Summit: Stratton Mountain (3,940')
Trail route: Appalachian Trail/Long Trail
Trail conditions: Dry with a few minor wet/muddy spots
Weather: Warm but cool on the summit and sunny with some fair weather clouds
Total miles: 7.6
Total time:  3:58

I was driving to Virginia and took time along the way to hike Stratton Mountain before continuing on to a camping area near Mount Greylock in western Massachusetts. Stratton Mountain is on the New England Hundred Highest list which I am slowly working on.

My GPS got me to the parking area and I was soon on the Appalachian Trail/Long Trail heading to the summit. It was a nice flat start for about a mile then crossed an old forest road before easily going up. The trail to the summit is about as flat up as it gets. There is short easy climbs then it levels out each time all the way up. After 3.4 miles I reached the summit.

There is a very tall tower at the summit. I made the climb up into the enclosed area at the top. There are incredible 360-degree views from this tower. I stayed a few minutes for some photos then made my way back down. Once I was down I began my descent back to the trailhead.

Just after leaving the summit I caught my left foot on a root and rammed my right front foot into a rock. I was quite sure I did not break my big toe but it was definitely injured and very painful but I kept going. That would be the only bad part of today's hike.

This is about as easy a hike to a summit that I've ever done. A very enjoyable hike on a cool, crisp Fall day before continuing my drive south.

Enjoy the photos and video!

Sunrise with some undercast as I start my drive to Vermont



Bog bridge makes it easy

A very nice section of trail

Trail crosses a forest road

Coral mushroom

Another 'shroom

Caretaker cabin near the summit

A very high fire tower but that's where the views are

View from the tower

Stratton Mountain Ski Area summit

South view

Back down after a climb to the top of the tower

Hobblebush leaves in Fall color

More mushrooms

Crossing the forest road again

Burls abound

A short path leads to this bog

A bridge over untroubled water

Back at the trailhead




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!







No comments:

Post a Comment