Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, September 17, 2022

Hiking the Saddlebacks


Summits: Saddleback (4,116'), The Horn (4,041')
Trail route: Ski trails: Wheeler, Grey Ghost and Tri-Color, Appalachian Trail
Trail conditions: Dry, minor mud in a few spots
Weather: Cool to warm with lots of sunshine
Total miles: 6.8
Total time:  4:52

Another adventure to some new summits for me today. Almost the same scenario as last week with a hike up to the summit of a ski area then across to another summit and returning back across and down the same trails. There was cool to warming temps and sunny skies in the forecast.

The early morning drive to the hike started out foggy especially along the Androscoggin River. It cleared up the further north I drove. After an hour and a half I pulled into the parking lot at Saddleback Ski Area. There were hikers parked here ahead of me. There appeared to be a lot of construction work taking place at the base of the mountain as well as on the upper part of the mountain.

As I headed out I actually had no idea where the hike started so I went in the general direction that my GPS was indicating. I walked across the front of the lodge where it looked they were setting up an outside event that looked like maybe it was going to be a wedding. I started walking up a dirt road and found a temporary sign that pointed to the trail. Ski trails are really never easy to hike on since they are a relentless up for obvious reasons. The good part about hiking a ski trail is that there is a good view most of the time.

I got to the top of the ski area trails and took a short trail up to the Appalachian Trail. I turned left and followed the trail to the summit of Saddleback. There were great views in every direction. I continued on to Saddleback Horn or The Horn. There was a long descent into the col and most of the trail was open with views along most of the way. I ascended The Horn and had some more spectacular views at the summit. This was my turn around point and I was soon heading back.

Up till now I had seen a few hikers along the ridge but on the way back there were many more hikers. It was a good return trip down into the col, up to Saddleback and down the ski trails past the base lodge and to the parking lot.

This was an enjoyable hike with great weather and spectacular views. I have many more hikes to do in Maine and I'm looking forward to exploring new summits!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Early morning fog along the Androscoggin River on the drive to the hike
 
Sun rising over Saddleback

A sign pointing the way up the Grey Ghost ski trail

Lots of asters were blooming on the ski trails

Pearly everlasting

Leaving the ski trails behind and climbing higher

Small alpine pond

Saddle back summit up ahead

Making the turn onto the Appalachian Trail


Saddleback Lake from the summit of Saddleback Mountain

On the Appalachian Trail

Sun above the summit

The next bump on the trail

Found the summit marker

A view to the east

On my way to The Horn

A long drop into the col

Bottom of the col between the summits

Iron ladder

Cliffside view

The only wet spot on this hike


On The Horn


Saddleback Jr.


A look back as I start the return trip

Descending The Horn


Heading back up

Captured a jet flying over the moon

Ski trails on Saddleback

Saddleback summit up ahead

Lichen


Hiking down to the top of the ski area



Descending the Grey Ghost ski trail

Crossing a ski area access road

Just came down from there

Passing by the Ski lodge to the parking lot

A look back at the Saddlebacks







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment