Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Hike to Iron Mountain and Beyond


Summits: Iron Mountain (2,726')
Trail route: Iron Mountain Trail
Trail conditions: Dry   
Weather: Warm with cumulus clouds and sunshine
Total miles: 4.4
Total time:  3:24

After not feeling well yesterday I decided to find a short hike today. I've been wanting to hike Iron Mountain and this seemed like the right time. 

This is a popular hike and I thought it might be tough finding a parking spot. After an interesting drive on a dirt road I arrived at the trailhead parking, I was surprised to be the first one there at 8:45 AM. There is room for about eight vehicles here and an overflow parking area two tenths of a mile back down the road.

The hike starts with a nice set of gravel steps. The trail then passes through an open field. The old trail merges into the new trail without much notice. The new trail is very nice with minimal roots and rocks and some switchbacks that makes the ascent very gradual. Just before the summit the new trail merges back with the old one.

There is remnants of an old fire tower on the summit. With no views I continued on and started down the south side of the mountain toward the iron mine and ledges. It was a steady drop and I knew for every step down it would be a step back up on the return trip.

I reached a fork in the trail and made the decision to visit the mine first. The trail continued to descend and I really wasn't impressed by the mine. It was basically a hole in some ledge that could be accessed further down the trail and walking back up into it. There was lots of old slag rock around from past mining. I did not linger here and climbed back up to the trail junction.

I then turned south at the junction and continued out to the ledges. The views were very impressive! There were views from North Conway to Crawford Notch. I did do some lingering and basking on the ledges. Up till now I had seen no other hikers but that soon changed. Four hikers arrived as I started my return trip.

I saw many hikers as I climbed back up to the summit of Iron Mountain. Once at the top it was all downhill from there and it was a pleasant hike back to the trailhead.

This was a fun hike and not sure why I have not done it before now. This certainly has to be up at the top of my list of favorite short hikes!

Enjoy the photos and video!

First one in the parking lot and on the trail

The hike starts here

Nice steps start the hike

Passing through a field

A view to the north of the Presidentials and Wildcats

A nice new trail

Cloud covered Mount Washington

A short spur path revealed this view

Arriving at the summit

On the summit

Remnants from the old fire tower

Well marked trail while descending the other side of Iron Mountain


Approaching the iron mine


Walking into the mine

Looking up from the bottom of the mine

Leftover rocks from the iron mine

View from the ledges

Ski trails on Mount Attitash

A view to the west

A view to the north

Mount Kearsarge

Mount Chocorua

Leaf changing color

Steps on the new trail

A stand of young birch trees

This bird nest was on the edge of the trail about four feet off the ground

Private residence from the trail

Clouds moving in

Field of gold

Back at the trailhead





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment