Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Loop Hike to Caribou Mountain


Summits: Caribou Mountain (2,850')
Trail route: Mud Brook Trail, Caribou Trail 
Trail conditions: Dry with some insignificant wet and muddy sections  
Weather: Warm and slightly humid, a nice breeze on the summit
Total miles: 6.5
Total time:  4:08

I was looking to explore some new terrain and decided on Caribou Mountain. With a hot day in the forecast I wanted to get an early start.

There was one other vehicle in the parking lot when I arrived. I would do the loop counter clockwise so started my hike on the Mud Brook Trail. This is a great trail with just a moderate gradual elevation gain. There are many brook crossings and they were all dry to mostly dry. There was clear evidence of the drought we are in.

As I got closer to the summit there was some minor ledge scrambling. The views were opening up and there was a slight breeze blowing that felt refreshing. I arrived at the summit and had it to myself, I had seen no other hikers so far. 

There was almost a 360° view but trees obscured the view to the east. The views were spectacular in every other direction. It was a nice day for lingering and basking so I spent a short time here before descending. It wasn't long before I saw the first two hikers on my way down. I arrived at the Caribou Trail and there was a steady stream of hikers the rest of the way down.

I arrived at Kees Falls to find it almost dry. There was barely a trickle of water coming down through the falls. I could see a deep pool of water at the bottom of the falls. I made the very steep descent off the trail down to the bottom of the falls. The deep pool looked very inviting especially with the temperature getting very warm. The waterfall was almost non-existent so a quick pic and I made the steep climb back up to the trail.

Just past the falls I heard a very large animal up to my left. There was a lot of thick brush and I never did see it. What I did see was many more hikers coming up the trail. It was feeling hot and slightly muggy and I was glad to be on my way down. It was an enjoyable hike back out to the parking area to complete the loop. I was not surprised to see the parking area almost full. 

This was just the kind of hike I was looking for today. It was a nice easy climb to the summit where I was rewarded with some amazing views. It was fun exploring new trails and a new summit on this last day of July! 

Enjoy the photos and video!

Sunrise as I start the drive to the trailhead

Hike starts here on the Mud Brook Trail

The "raging" Mud Brook

Saw lots of burls on this hike

This tree is determined to survive



First view from the trail

Looked like the summit but it wasn't

Going up there

Blueberries are ripe

Summit is up ahead

Found these among the granite ledges

Summit marker

View from the summit

Mount Washington

Maine view

Baldfaces


Bluebead lily


Large blowdown across the trail

Dry cascade

At the top of Kees Falls with a deep pool below

Only a trickle of water coming down Kees Falls

Found this log to cross over the raging Morrison Brook

A very nice stretch of trail

Big burl

Remnants of a bridge that once crossed Morrison Brook

Back at the parking area the loop is complete






1 comment:

  1. I started doing Caribou back in the 90's. It was my favorite hike in the Evans Notch area. I did the hike clockwise each time and I enjoyed it because it was a loop hike and for a good portion it was within sight or sound of water. It would be several years before I returned to do it again. Back in the 90's there were cairns and markers to guide one across the summit. The last time I was there they were all removed and could not find my way from Morrison Brook Trail (original name) to Mud Brook Trail. I had to turn back and return the way I came. Thank you USFS for ruining an otherwise splendid day. I take it that in their view getting lost is a wilderness experience.

    ReplyDelete