Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, July 3, 2022

Lafayette and Lincoln on a Holiday Weekend


Summit: Mount Lafayette (5,260'), Mount Lincoln (5,089')
Trail route: Old Bridle Path, Greenleaf Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Falling Waters Trail
Trail conditions: Dry trails with minor wet areas
Weather: Warm sunshine, cool and windy on the summits
Total miles: 8.8
Total time: 6:34

After a check of the weather forecast I decided to hike Mount Lafayette and Mount Lincoln today. I took into consideration that it was a holiday weekend and there would be a lot of people doing this very popular hike. With an early start I was hoping to beat some of the crowd.

I arrived at the trailhead parking lot just before 7:00 AM and got one of the last parking spaces. Not getting a parking space meant having to be shuttled in from another parking lot. It was clear that even though I was hiking solo I would have lots of company today. My route would be up Old Bridle Path and down Falling Waters Trail.

It was an enjoyable hike up to Greenleaf Hut. There was a cool breeze blowing so I changed into a long sleeve thin layer. As I continued up to the summit of Mount Lafayette the wind increased and I put on a fleece layer. There was a very cool, refreshing wind on the summit and it felt good!

The number of hikers was starting to increase. There were many on the summit and a line of hikers could be seen off in the distance on Franconia Ridge. I continued my hike over to Mount Lincoln where I found another crowd of hikers. I didn't slow down much on this summit and continued over to Little Haystack Mountain where I saw another crowd of hikers. A quick pic and I started my descent on the Falling Waters Trail.

The trail got very crowded on the way down. Most of the hikers I saw today were coming from the direction of the Falling Waters Trail and not the way that I came up, it was that or I was hiking super fast because nobody passed me from Greenleaf Hut up to Lafayette across Franconia Ridge down Falling Waters Trail back to the parking lot. I stopped just long enough to get photos of the waterfalls on the way down.

This hike was one of two that I need this month to grid out July. I need one more hike this month to the Bonds and I will be gridded out until December. I'm hoping for some favorable weather to get the long hike to the Bonds done and then plan on hiking some Maine and Vermont summits working toward the New England Hundred Highest list!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Sunrise from Lowe's Garage on the drive to the trailhead

The hike starts here

A favorite tree

Wildflowers

Looking up at the Agonies

A look back down the Old Bridle Path

Lonesome Lake and Lonesome Lake Hut



Eagle Lake

A look back at Greenleaf Hut

Cannon tram cable car going up

On the summit of Mount Lafayette

Franconia Ridge

A view of Cannon Mountain and the Kinsmans beyond

View from Lafayette

Mount Lincoln

On Mount Lafayette

No fall zone

Heading to Mount Lincoln

Mount Lafayette behind me

Labrador tea

A look down at the ridge where I was earlier

Diapensia

A view from Mount Lincoln

On Mount Lincoln




A look back at Mount Lincoln

Mount Washington in the distance

Bondcliff

Kinsmans and Cannon Mountain

On Little Haystack Mountain

View from Little Haystack Mountain

Mount Flume and Mount Liberty

On the Falling Waters Trail

There's a reason it's called Falling Waters Trail

The top of Cloudland Falls

Cloudland Falls

Another waterfall

Stair Falls

A rock-loving tree






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment