Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Summer Solo Hike to Adams and Madison


Summits: Mount Adams (5,774'), Mount Madison (5,367')
Trail route: Valley Way, Upper Bruin Trail, Air Line, Osgood Trail 
Trail conditions: Mostly dry trail, lots of wet trail on Valley Way
Weather: Cool to warm temps, high thin clouds, light breeze on the summits
Total miles: 10
Total time:  7:56

The weather forecast was looking good for today so I changed my plans from Cannon Mountain to Adams and Madison. I wanted to get those two higher summits done before the heat and humidity returns. Cannon is a lower summit and shorter hike that I can hike another day.

I arrived at Appalachia to an almost full parking lot. This is a very popular trailhead and there were just a couple of available spots remaining at 5:30 AM. I was soon on the trail and heading up to Mount Adams my first summit for today. My route would take me up Valley Way and then across to Air Line via the Upper Bruin Trail. 

I had never been on the Upper Bruin Trail and it was a nice shortcut across to Air Line. It brought me out to Durand Ridge almost above tree line and on the edge of King Ravine. I enjoyed great views from here to the summit although a bit hazy today. Air Line on Durand Ridge is one of my favorite sections of trails in the White Mountains. It is an exhilarating hike and can be quite challenging in windy conditions. 

It was a rock hop to the summit of Mount Adams. There were a few hikers already here and more on the way up. I got the few customary photos and a panoramic video then started my descent. My hike continued down to Madison Spring Hut. I didn't stop and started the ascent to the summit of Mount Madison. I passed several hikers coming down. I thought I might have the summit to myself.

I arrived at the summit of Mount Madison and there was still two hikers there. After about ten minutes they left the summit and I had it to myself but didn't know for how long. A few photos and I started the descent. Back at the hut I took time for a break and to eat lunch. As expected there were hikers coming and going. 

I left the hut and started my descent down Valley Way. This trail was very wet and it was slow going with all the rocks being very slick so it was careful foot placement to prevent slipping and falling. It was not until well down the trail before the trail began to dry out. Met many hikers coming up and I would expect most if not all would be spending the night at the hut.

The hike had been going great with no slips, falls or injuries until about a half mile from the parking lot when I caught a black fly in my eye. I could not get the fly out of my eye not matter how much coaxing. I took my remaining water and doused my eye but the fly was deep in my eye socket somewhere. It was not until later on in the evening when I looked in the mirror to try and find the fly one more time when I saw it stuck just below my eyebrow. Not sure how it got there but it was a relief to have it out of my eye.

I was very glad to get these two summits done today. A look at the forecast shows a change in the weather bringing clouds and some rain with heat and humidity toward the end of the week. I now have four more hikes to grid out the month of August.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Early morning view of Madison and Adams before the hike

The hike starts here

Pearly Everlasting

Mushrooms popping up

Upper Bruin Trail

On Durand Ridge


Goldenrod

A look back down Durand Ridge
 
Basking slug

Crag Camp

A look down King Ravine

The top of King Ravine Trail


Summit up ahead

Mount Adams summit pin

On top of Mount Adams

A view of Mount Jefferson

Cloud passing over Mount Washington

Mount Madison

Diapensia

Madison Spring Hut below Mount Madison

A washout beside the trail

Ring around the sun

Looking up at Mount Madison beside the hut

Mount Washington

Mount Adams

A view down the Osgood Trail

A view toward Berlin NH

On the summit of Mount Madison

Randolph down below

Mount Madison summit pin

Descending Madison

Lunchtime view from the hut

A bee gathers pollen from goldenrod

Spruce cones

Descending Valley Way

Meadowsweet

Arriving back at the Appalachia trailhead


View From Mount Adams


View From Mount Madison



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!





No comments:

Post a Comment