Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Gridding Out Cannon Mountain


Summit: Cannon Mountain (4,100')
Trail route: Kinsman Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Dry trail with a few minor wet and muddy sections
Weather: Warm with some humidity, sun shining through high thin clouds
Total miles: 4.2 depending on what sign or map you're looking at
Total time:  3:30

I saw one more day of good weather in the forecast before showers, heat and humidity return. My plan was to hike up Cannon Mountain and grid out that summit meaning I will have hiked it in every month of the year. 

I took my time leaving the house and got a later than usual start. When I arrived at the Cannon tram parking lot there was a convoluted parking arrangement with large concrete barriers allowing one way in and one way out. I parked where I usually have in the past and that's back by the trailhead.

It was a warm start to the hike. I was surprised at how much the lower part of the trail has eroded since the last time I was there. The loose gravel slowed me down a bit. I also found it to be very warm and muggy so I was taking my time and rehydrating frequently.

As I made my way further up the trail it started to cool off just a little and it felt tolerable. I stopped at the outlook for a pic before continuing on to the summit. There were lots of tourists on the Rim Trail just below the summit that had come up on the tram. I had forgotten about that since in the past I had hiked up here when there were no tourists.

Up on the observation tower I was met with a cloud of flying insects, looked like winged ants. Not sure what that was all about but I moved to an area on the platform where there were no insects. I took a few photos and then started back down, lots of people were on their way up.

I followed the Rim Trail around and immediately went down the Kinsman Ridge Trail without stopping leaving the tourists behind. It was a pleasant hike down and I met many hikers coming up. Back down at the parking lot it was very warm.

I have now hiked Cannon Mountain in every month of the year and in a variety of weather and trail conditions. There have been some very tough hikes to this summit with one extremely challenging hike that had me almost turn around twice. I have one more hike this month that will grid out two more summits, Liberty and Flume. That hike will also grid out the month of August. 

Enjoy the photos and video! 

My destination is up ahead

A new sign at the trailhead indicating a sign of the times

The welcoming burl at the beginning of the trail

Hobblebush leaves changing color

Some serious trail erosion

Red tram coming up

Echo Lake

Yellow tram

Bunchberry

A view from the outlook

Franconia Notch

Summit observation tower is in sight

Hazy view

Double ring around the sun

Two signs and two different mileages to the parking lot

Summit tram building

A patch of wood asters



Franconia Ridge

Kinsmans

Mittersill ski area below

Top of the mountain ski area at Cannon

Hiker on the summit of Mount Lincoln

Mount Liberty

On the Rim Trail

Heading down

A look back at the summit tower

Crossing the ski glade

Ledge scramble

A farewell burl

Back at the trailhead


View From the Cannon Mountain Summit Observation Tower


Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment