Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Friday, August 27, 2021

Gridding Out Liberty and Flume and August


Summits: Mount Liberty (4,459'), Mount Flume (4,328')
Trail route: Liberty Spring Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail 
Trail conditions: Dry trails and low water crossings
Weather: Warm, humid start with diminishing humidity, sunshine
Total miles: 8.8
Total time:  6:23

The weather forecast had our latest stretch of heat and humidity diminishing today. I was hoping it would diminish early rather than later. This would be my last 48 4,000 footer hike for the month of August. I would also be gridding out Mount Liberty and Mount Flume as an out and back hike rather than the loop thus avoiding the always challenging Flume Slide.

For some reason I had a tough time getting motivated this morning but I pushed through the doldrums and headed for the trailhead. It was still rather humid when I arrived at the Basin parking lot. I started down the paved bike trail at 6:30 AM. 

I veered off onto the "bushwhack" which is now a well beaten down path. It wasn't long before I passed the first of many hikers today and at the same time there were two hikers coming up behind me. It was about two miles before I started feeling a cool breeze and the humidity starting to diminish.

There appeared to be a lot of hikers camped out at the Liberty tentsite and the number of hikers on the trail was increasing as I arrived at the Franconia Ridge trail junction. Up on the summit of Mount Liberty there was a steady cool wind blowing. I did not have the summit to myself today so I took a short break and continued on to Flume.

I saw more hikers on my way over to Mount Flume. Once again I would be sharing the summit with other hikers so I went beyond the summit for a few picks before turning around and starting my return hike to the parking lot. 

Lots of hiker traffic on the trail back to Mount Liberty and down Liberty Spring Trail. I arrived back to a full parking lot. The temp was very warm but humidity was not as bad as when I started early this morning.

It was great to grid out two more summits having now hiked Liberty and Flume in every month of the year in every kind of weather and trail conditions. Also gridded out August having now hiked all 48 4,000 footers in this month. 

September will be here next week and I need four hikes to grid out that month. It's been a very hot, humid and wet summer and I look forward to the arrival of Fall and cool temps!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

The hike starts here

Turning onto the "bushwhack"

Avoiding Flume Slide Trail and doing an out and back via Liberty Spring Trail

Low water and easy water crossings

The tentsite caretaker is in



Coming up into a refreshing breeze

On Mount Liberty

Lincoln and Garfield

Owl's Head

Mount Flume

Mount Garfield


Spruce cones on Mount Flume

A look back at Mount Liberty from Mount Flume

My turn around point

Just crossed over the summit of Mount Flume and moved away from the crowd

Just crossed back over Mount Liberty

A look back at the summit of Mount Liberty

Starting my descent


Lycogala epidendrum or wolf's milk


Heading out via the "bushwhack" which is now a well beaten path


View From Mount Liberty


View From Mount Flume


Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment