Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Osceolas in February

 
Summits: East Osceola (4,156'), Mount Osceola (4,340')
Trail route: From the Kancamagus Highway via Greeley Ponds Trail, Mount Osceola Trail
Trail conditions: Solid frozen base with a top layer of semi-firm snow
Weather: Comfortably cold with sunshine and blue sky
Total miles: 7.6
Total time:  6:00

A check of weather and trail conditions indicated that this would be a good day to hike the Osceolas. I needed these two summits for my grid list.

The trailhead parking lot is no longer being plowed out in the winter. I stopped briefly beside the Kancamagus Highway for a quick check of the trail condition before driving  up to the plowed area beside the road. The trail was rock solid and I decided not to bring snowshoes based on previous trail reports and the recent weather. I brought microspikes and trail crampons.

I was able to easily bare boot to the trail junction. From here I would begin an upward ascent and the trail gets very steep. I started with microspikes and as the trail got steeper I swapped to trail crampons. It was a relentless steep climb to the ridge.

There was  a light wind blowing across the ridge as I made my way to the summit of East Osceola. After a quick stop at the outlook I went to the viewless summit. I stopped here for a snack and a photo then continued on to Mount Osceola.

I departed the summit and dropped down into the col. When I got to the chimney I decided to take the bypass around the bypass. It was then a steady climb to the summit of Mount Osceola. One lone hiker passed me as I was going up. I reached the summit and there was a cold wind blowing. I was only here briefly before starting my hike back.

It was back down to the col then up to East Osceola and back down the very steep descent. I met one more hiker on the way down. I was surprised to only see two hikers today. I removed my traction at the trail junction and bare booted to the trailhead. It was nice not to have the snowshoes today and never postholed once during the entire hike. The trail was a solid white sidewalk from trailhead to Mount Osceola!

This turned out to be a perfect day of weather and trail conditions. I'll need to hike these two summits one more time in April to grid them out. I'm hoping the conditions will be just as good when I hike them next time!

Enjoy the photos and video!

Bare booted to the trail junction
 
Water crossings were bridged
 
Put on the microspikes here then trail crampons at the steep section
 
Crossing the slide
 
Looking down the slide
 
The "chute" just below the ridge
 
East Osceola and Mount Osceola
 
A spur path goes to an outlook
 
Approaching the summit of East Osceola
 
A view from the outlook on East Osceola
 
On the summit of East Osceola
 
View from the trail
 
Hancock Overlook on the Kancamagus Highway
 
Franconia Ridge
 
Lincoln and Lafayette
 
Looking up the chimney
 
Snow hangs heavy on the trees at higher elevations
 
Summit of Mount Osceola is up ahead
 A view from the summit of Mount Osceola
 
A view to the north
 
Mount Washington
 
Mount Chocorua
 
Waterville Valley ski slopes
 
It's all downhill from here
 
Walking the snowy plank over a small brook
 
Snow covered brook
 
Back at the trailhead parking area that remains unplowed
 
A view from the Hancock Overlook toward the Osceolas on the left
 





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment