Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Gridding Out Zealand Mountain


Summit: Zealand Mountain (4,260')
Trail route: Zealand Road, Zealand Trail, Twinway
Trail conditions: Frozen base with a thin coating of new snow
Weather: Cold to start then warming into the low 20's, sunshine early with afternoon thin cloud cover
Total miles: 18.8
Total time: 9:45

All the right conditions were in place for the almost nineteen mile hike into Zealand Mountain. Weather was looking good, trail conditions were reported as a solid track without the need for snowshoes and I was feeling healthy enough for this long solo hike.

I was up early and arrived at the parking lot on Route 302 with a temperature of 1°F. The hike started in the dark with headlamp lighting my way although the waning moon was also providing good light. I began without traction since it was easily bare booted. 

There was a group of hikers ahead of me and they packed down the fresh coating of one or two inches of snow over a solid frozen base. About halfway into the 3.5 mile road walk the headlamp was no longer needed.

After 2.5 hours and 6.4 miles from the start of my hike I arrived at Zealand Hut. I paused here for a brief break and spent a few minutes talking with the hut caretaker. I also got something to eat and put on my microspikes. I knew the traction would help with the ascent up Twinway.

I departed the hut and easily walked across the two water crossings above the hut. Twinway up to Zeacliff was the usual grind and in my opinion is the toughest part of this hike. I actually bypassed the Zeacliff view and continued on Twinway. The trail was well beaten down by the group ahead of me although there was only a couple inches of fluffy snow.

I arrived at the viewless summit now having been here in every month of the year. I got a photo under the best summit sign in the White Mountains. This was my turn around point and I began the long hike back to my car.

Up till now I had only seen five people including the hut caretaker. I saw no other hikers on the long hike out. I did see the hut caretaker again when I stopped briefly for a snack. At the trailhead and the beginning of the road walk out I took off the microspikes for the final 3.7 miles. It was an uneventful road walk and I was glad to have this hike done.

I have been to this summit in adverse conditions, the conditions today could not have been better for this time of year. A hike to this summit is usually done during a Zealand/Bonds traverse but I had done an out and back hike to the Bonds in January 2018 with a group of friends.

Trail conditions are about to change when an approaching snow/rain storm arrives tomorrow. I have four summits in two hikes to grid out January. I'll be closely monitoring weather and trail conditions while planning my next grid hike.

Enjoy the photos!

Zealand Road walk starts in the dark with headlamp and a temperature of 1°F
 
The waning moon provided some light
 
Dawn is breaking
 
Arriving at the parking lot after the long road walk
 
The hike starts here
 


Moon setting
 
Sun rising
 
The sun felt good after a cold start
 
 
Zeacliff
 

Zealand Hut
 
View from Zealand Hut
 
First water crossing after the hut
 
Second water crossing after the hut
 


Into the great white beyond
 
Bog bridges covered in snow
 
Snow covered steps
 
Snowy corridor
 

On the summit of Zealand Mountain for #12
 
Heading back
 
More snow will help getting over this obstacle
 
Frozen brook
 



Best sight of the day after 18.8 miles in 9:45 hours
 
 
 
Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment