Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, February 19, 2023

Madison and Adams Completes Round 10 of the 48 Four Thousand Footers


Summits: Mount Adams (5,774'), Mount Madison (5,367')
Trail route: Valley Way, Osgood Trail, Gulfside Trail, Air Line
Trail conditions: Solid packed trail up Valley Way, some ice on Madison cone and solid snowpack up to Adams, rock and ice on Durand Ridge, soft snow on Air Line
Weather: Cool temps and wind on the summits, sun through high thin clouds 
Total miles: 10
Total time:  7:25

I needed Mount Madison and Mount Adams for my February grid summits. I passed up hiking with friends yesterday due to not feeling well on Friday and giving myself a day to recuperate. That meant having to hike these two summits solo today. There was some challenging wind chill temperatures yesterday that were supposed to diminish today.

As I neared the Appalachia parking lot I could see the summits were in the clouds that were supposed to clear according to the forecast. I was surprised to see the parking lot almost full when I arrived. I put on microspikes right at the trailhead. The trail was frozen solid and the spikes worked well.

I arrived at the Madison Spring Hut and added a layer before heading up to the summit of Mount Madison. There were some icy areas and the microspikes did their job. Up on the summit the wind was blowing steady. It was definitely not a day to linger and I was soon on my way back down to the hut. I took a short break at the hut and then it was on to Mount Adams.

When I got up to the Air Line trail junction the wind was howling with some gusts that were pushing me around. It was then up to Thunderstorm Junction into a headwind coming from the south. I made the turn for the final three tenths of a mile to the summit. There was a small group of hikers up there when I arrived. We talked for a few minutes and it was then time for me to start my descent, it was all downhill from here.

As soon as I dropped down off of the summit the wind went calm. It would not pick up again until I reached Durand Ridge. The trail along the ridge was rock and ice. I didn't reach a good solid snowpack until I got to the treeline. When I dropped down into the woods I swapped my traction to trail crampons since the snow here was loose but still no postholing.

The trail dropped steeply with a few patches of solid ice that were easy to get around. The snow was getting softer on the lower portion of the trail, the trail crampons were the right traction to handle it. I arrived back at the trailhead to complete the ten mile loop.

I was very glad to get this hike done today especially since I had a failed attempt at this same hike last month. I now have one more hike to grid out the month of February. With a snowstorm forecast for later this week the trail conditions will definitely be changing. 

Enjoy the photos and video!

Mount Madison summit is cloud covered as I approach Appalachia parking lot

The hike starts here

A warning sign to let hikers know what they're getting into

Sun rising over Mount Madison

Another warning sign just before Madison Spring Hut

Mount Madison will be my first summit of the day

Arriving at Madison Spring Hut

Hut door is sealed shut with a snowdrift

Arriving at the summit of Mount Madison

View from Mount Madison

Mount Washington

Mount Adams my next summit for today

Descending Madison

Mount Washington from Madison

Back at Madison Spring Hut

Bushes covered in rime ice

A look back at Madison

Ascending Mount Adams

Arriving at Thunderstorm Junction

On the summit of Mount Adams

Wildcat Ski Area

Mount Jefferson

Mount Madison

Mount Washington

A look back at Adams while descending


A view into King Ravine

Durand Ridge


A look back at Durand Ridge and Mount Adams

Another warning sign on Air Line

Snow covered spruce

Last view from the trail

Ice

The hiking loop is complete

Back at the trailhead after 10 miles and 2 summits




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment