Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Wildcat A to Finish Gridding Out the Wildcats


Summits: Wildcat A
Trail route: Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, Wildcat Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: 
Weather: Partly cloudy to start then clearing skies, temps in the 30's
Total miles: 8.6
Total time: 5:37

Last February I attempted a solo hike to the summit of Wildcat A. There was new snow and I was having difficulty trying to break trail by myself. I turned around just before the first slide on the Wildcat Ridge Trail and instead hiked up to Carter Dome which was broke out but still a very difficult hike to the summit. Weather and trail conditions were favorable today for another attempt to summit Wildcat A. This would grid out Wildcat A as well as complete the Wildcats for the grid.

As I got closer to the trailhead I could see one cloud that was hanging exactly where I was going in Carter Notch. I arrived at the trailhead parking lot and found it to be nicely plowed out. I quickly checked the trail and decided to start my hike in microspikes. About two miles up the trail I swapped to snowshoes. The trail was broke out but the snow was still loose and the snowshoes worked well in the unconsolidated snow.

The snowshoes were really appreciated as I started up the steep Wildcat Ridge Trail and I took advantage of the televators. There were some tough, tricky sections to get up that required the assistance of some trees to pull myself up. I reached the summit and had it to myself. Initially there were no views at the outlook. But the clouds cleared within minutes of my arrival and there were spectacular views with blue sky and sunshine. This was my turn around point and after a few photos I began my hike back to the trailhead.

The steep descent on the Wildcat Ridge Trail was just as tricky going down as it was coming up. I used the same trees to get myself down safely. When I reached the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail the temps were warming up and created some occasional snow balling up on the snowshoes. I was able to kick the snow off without much problem so kept the snowshoes on for the rest of the hike. 

Both trail and weather conditions were better than I expected, it was a beautiful day for hiking! I have now gridded out the Wildcats, done them in every month of the year, and can move on to other challenging hikes for my February summits that I need for the grid.

Enjoy the photos and video!

Hike starts here in microspikes

A well packed trail

This bridge is one mile in


Bugs were out on the trail


Trail goes through a broke out snowdrift

Crossing a slide

Crossing another slide

Looking up a slide

Frosty Old Man's Beard clings to a tree

Frosty trees

Standing on the summit of Wildcat A

Clouds in Carter Notch when I arrived on the summit

Limited views from the outlook

No view of Carter Notch Hut below

Within minutes the clouds cleared out

Zooming in to Carter Lake and Carter Notch ut after clouds cleared

Carter Dome

Clouds in the distance

Heavy frost at higher elevations

Descending 

Frosty trees

Frosted spruce branch

Steep descent


Bridged and frozen water crossing

Blue sky above

One mile to go from this bridge

Nineteen Mile Brook

Back at the trailhead after 8.6 miles





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment