Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Friday, February 11, 2022

Owl's Head For #11


Summit: Owl's Head (4,025')
Trail route: Lincoln Woods Trail, Black Pond Trail, Black Pond Bushwhack, Lincoln Brook Trail, Brutus Bushwhack
Trail conditions: Solid Lincoln Woods Trail, packed but loose snow after that, trail snow blown in on the ridge to the summit 
Weather: Cold start warming up above freezing, sun to clouds over the course of the day
Total miles: 16
Total time:  8:43

Today I had a decision between two hikes I wanted to get done this month, Owl's Head or the Tripyramids. The trail reports and weather appeared favorable for the long hike to Owl's Head so I chose that one. This would be hike #11 to this summit.

Arrived at the Lincoln Woods parking lot to find quite a few vehicles already there. I met another hiker heading to Owl's Head and we set off together. We both started out bare booting since the Lincoln Woods Trail was well packed. He was also gridding and I could tell he was much faster than me. When we got to Black Pond Trail I told him I was going to slow down a bit and didn't want to hold him back so he was soon out of sight.

When I got to the Black Pond bushwhack I found the lower track was not broke out and the broke out path went straight up. This path took a very high track and did a lot of winding around. About halfway across the bushwhack I put my snowshoes on. This was the first time I had been this high on the bushwhack and it turned out to be a terrible track. The only redeeming factor was that it was broke out.

I continued up the Lincoln Brook Trail with snowshoes which was nicely packed down but still a little loose. The two water crossings had very thick snow bridges and it would be difficult to know there was water underneath if I hadn't been there before. The Brutus bushwhack is just beyond the second water crossing. After hiking seven miles the toughest part of the hike was ahead of me.

I started up the Brutus bushwhack and braced myself for the steep section, it didn't disappoint. The snowshoes worked well but there was still some backward slipping. There were no tracks coming up from the slide which didn't surprise me. Up on the ridge the trail had been filled in with blowing snow and only broke out by the three hikers that were there before me. Two were bare booters and the one hiker I had met earlier wore snowshoes. I spent a few moments on the summit and had it to myself.

I departed the summit and made a brief stop at an open view to the Bonds. I continued my descent and was glad to get down the Brutus bushwhack and back onto a flat trail. It was an uneventful long hike back to the parking lot. Always glad to see the suspension bridge over the East Branch of the Pemigewasset River after a long hike.

This was my 11th time hiking to Owl's Head in 11 different months. One more hike in April to this summit and I'll have it gridded out!

Enjoy the photos!

The 16 mile hike begins here

East Branch of the Pemigewasset River

Approaching Black Pond

Black Pond

A nice snowshoe trench

Lincoln Brook

Easy water crossing on this snow bridge

Another easy water crossing

Brutus bushwhack starts here

Snow covered boulder marks the end of the Brutus bushwhack

On the ridge

Mount Lafayette through the trees

Lots of snow on the ridge

On the summit of Owl's Head for #11

Summit stick is still there

A view from Owl's Head

Bondcliff

No hikers seen on the summit of Bondcliff

West Bond and Mount Bond and Bondcliff

Back at the Brutus bushwhack

This very steep drop is difficult to capture in a photo

Clouds move in

The Brutus bushwhack ends here

Deep snow on this water crossing

No tracks on the Lincoln Brook Trail coming from the Franconia Brook Trail

This bug flew away after I took its photo

The lower track of the Black Pond bushwhack is not broke out

Clouds have cleared over the Bonds on my return to Black Pond

Zooming in on Bondcliff

Back at the Lincoln Woods Trail

Open water on the river

The 16 mile hike ends here



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment