Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

A Cold and Windy Hike to Galehead Mountain


Summits: Galehead Mountain (4,024')
Trail route: Beaver Brook XC Ski Trail, Gale River Loop Road, Gale River Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail, Frost  
Trail conditions: A solid trail all the way to the summit
Weather: Frigid start with calm wind to cold bitter wind, overcast and occasional sun showing through
Total miles: 12
Total time:  6:10

On a day in February 2018 with less than optimal trail and weather conditions a group of us set out to hike the Twins and Galehead. It was a tough day of hiking and by the time we reached Galehead Hut only two in our group made the hike up to Galehead Mountain. That meant I had to return and get this summit done. So four years later I would be hiking Galehead Mountain today.

When I got out of bed this morning the first thing I did was check the outside temperature, it was -15°F! The weather forecast had the temps warming up over the course of the day so I set out for my hike. I arrived at the Beaver Brook parking area and the temperature was 0°F. There was no wind so it was quite tolerable. I started out with microspikes and they would stay on for the entire hike.

About two miles into the hike I heard a roaring noise in the distance. The noise continued to get closer and louder and I realized it was the wind. It packed a punch when it hit. I was somewhat concerned about the possibility of trees and limbs falling. As I got further up the trail the wind diminished. I arrived at Galehead Hut and the wind picked up again. There was no shelter from the wind so I continued up to the summit of Galehead Mountain.

It was a quick trip to the summit. Without a view and a cold wind blowing there was no reason to linger. I began my descent and stopped briefly at the outlook for a photo. The wind was bitter cold here and it took awhile for my fingers to warm up again. I got back to the hut and continued descending without stopping.

When I reached the Gale River Trail junction the wind was calm. I had brought the butt sled and decided to give it a try. I walked down over the steepest section of the trail as it would've been too fast. I got some good runs lower down. As the trail flattened I packed up the sled and kept hiking.

Back down on the lower part of the trail the wind was back with a vengeance. I saw tree debris and limbs on the trail that were not there earlier. I heard trees cracking and creaking and hoped nothing big would fall on me, it helped quicken my pace on the way out. I arrived at the Gale River Loop Road and had to avoid fast moving snowmobiles. I was glad to get back on the calm and quiet XC ski trail for the final section of the hike. 

It was nice to get Galehead today. This was my 10th time to Galehead Mountain and summit 522 of 576 for the grid. The trail conditions were in great shape with a white sidewalk from start to finish. The weather was a little worse than I expected but still tolerable. There is warm temperatures and rain in the forecast over the next couple of days then back into the deep freeze this weekend. Trail conditions will change dramatically!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Hike starts on the Beaver Brook XC ski trail

A groomed Gale River Loop Road

Gale River

Arriving at the trailhead

Solid snow bridge

Another solid snow bridge on a water crossing

Log bridge

Another log bridge

A smiling face on the trail

Easy under blowdown

At the trail junction

On the Garfield Ridge Trail

View from the trail

Turning onto the Frost Trail

Arriving at Galehead Hut

The wind was howling across the porch so no sitting around today

The destination is up ahead

Found the summit stick

There was a bitter cold wind blowing here at the outlook

Back at the hut

View from the hut

About to try out the butt sled

Tree debris on the trail from high winds

More tree debris on the trail

Forgot to make my shuttle bus reservation

Back at the Beaver Brook parking lot after 12 miles









Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment