Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Monday, February 21, 2022

North and Middle Tripyramids for #11


Summits: North Tripyramid (4,180'), Middle Tripyramid  (4,140')
Trail route: Pine Bend Brook Trail
Trail conditions: Packed snow with wind blown snow and drifts on the ridge
Weather: Cool temps with a slight wind on the ridge and summits under a sunny sky
Total miles: 9.6
Total time:  5:46

Weather forecast was favorable for a hike to North and Middle Tripyramids today. I had not seen any recent trail reports for these summits so I would be carrying three different types of traction, snowshoes, microspikes and trail crampons. This would be my 11th time to these two peaks in eleven different months.

I arrived at the trailhead to find several vehicles already there. I started the hike in microspikes on a very solid trail. I swapped to trail crampons when I reached the steep section of trail and they stayed on for the rest of the hike. There was wind blown snow and drifting along the ridge but nothing that required snowshoes.

I made a quick stop at the summit of North Tripyramid then continued on. The trail to Middle Tripyramid was solid the whole way and I made another quick stop on this summit before turning around and heading back. I noticed there was some old snowshoe tracks on the Sabbaday Brook Trail.

As I was heading down the other side of North Tripyramid I stopped briefly to take a photo of the trail to North Slide. A moment later two hikers were just coming up from climbing the slide, they did it in microspikes. That's not something I would try this time of year in any kind of traction.

It was a good hike back down to the Kancamagus Highway. I met many hikers enjoying the trail and good weather today. The snowshoes got a free ride. One more hike to these summits in April and I will have them gridded out!

Enjoy the photos and video!

The hike starts here on the Kancamagus Highway

The first of many open water crossings but all of them easy











Went around this ice

On the summit of North Tripyramid

Mount Washington in the distance


Waterville Valley Ski Area

Skiers enjoying a beautiful winter day

Osceolas

Mount Passaconaway

Mount Chocorua and the Sisters

Waterville Valley from the summit of Middle Tripyramid

Returning to North Tripyramid

Seconds after taking this photo two hikers emerged following a climb up North Slide

North Slide through the trees

Melting snow reveals a mushroom

A favorite burl

Snow fleas

Back at the trailhead after 9.6 miles





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


3 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to where you're at with your grid? What plans/lists do you have moving forward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grid count 526/576, 91.3%. Maybe move on to the NEHH.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! Keep it up. I've always enjoyed your posts and photos

      Delete