Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Midweek Hike to the Osceolas


Summit: Mount Osceola (4,340'), East Osceola (4,156')
Trail route: Mount Osceola Trail
Trail conditions: Dry
Weather: Cool to warm, partly sunny
Total miles: 8.4
Total time:  5:35

Another day of great weather in the forecast this week so another day of hiking. I would be hiking up to Mount Osceola from Tripoli Road then across to East Osceola and return on the same trail. I wanted to get an early start to beat some of the crowd as this is another popular hiking trail.

I arrived at the parking lot around 6:30 and was able to get a spot in the parking lot, any later and I would've been parking on the road. On the way up I saw very few hikers. There were two people on the summit of Mount Osceola when I arrived. A few photos and I was on my way to East Osceola.

I descended to the top of the chimney. I looked down and decided to to take the bypass down. At the bottom of the bypass I started the climb up to East Osceola. I got to the summit and had it to myself for a few moments until another hiker arrived. This was my turn around point. Since there are no views I didn't stay long and started the trip back to Mount Osceola.

On the way back I went up the chimney, always fun, well, except when ice is bubbling down over it then the bypass is the only option. I started seeing hikers along the way back. When I reached the summit there was one hiker. That was about to change. I didn't stay and started my descent to the parking lot.

As I went down there were many people coming up. So here is where I start my rant. I have a bandana that I wear around my neck and pull it up over my mouth and nose when passing by others. There were dozens and dozens of people coming up with 50%+ not using a face cover or showing the least interest in social distancing. So I would have to make the effort to get off trail and some sections it was not possible. I was surprised at the number of people being inconsiderate and ignorant about taking simple precautions during this pandemic that we are all having to deal with. It takes very little effort to pull a face mask up and minimize a possible threat to others. Rant over.

I arrived at the trailhead to find more people just starting their hike. As one last bit of irony there was a used face mask discarded in the parking lot behind my vehicle. While I enjoyed my hike today I was surprised by the large number of hikers during a weekday. I have seen more hikers on the trails in recent hikes than I have ever seen before. Hoping this will change in the next couple of weeks.

Enjoy the photos and video!

The hike starts here

A view of Mount Tecumseh from the trail

Mushroom

This section of trail just before the summit is usually under water

On the summit of Mount Osceola looking over to East Osceola


Mount Washington in the distance

Waterville Valley ski trails

Watching clouds

Mount Chocorua

A look down from the top

East Osceola

Going down to go up

A look down the chimney

I went down the bypass

A view of the Hancocks from the trail

On the summit of East Osceola

Heading back to Mount Osceola

Approaching the chimney

Going straight up the chimney

A view through the trees

Another from a clearing along the trail

Arriving back at Mount Osceola

Mount Carrigain

Inconsiderate people drop toilet tissue beside the trail

Descending

Lots o' roots

Back at the trailhead




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment