Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Busy Trail to Mount Garfield


Summit: Mount Garfield (4,500')
Trail route: Mt Garfield Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Dry and low water crossings
Weather: Cool to warm, partly cloudy, mostly sunny
Total miles: 10
Total time:  5:05

This is a hike to one of my favorite summits and one of my favorite trails. I know this is a very popular hike so I wanted an early start to get a good parking spot off the road and to beat some of the crowd.

Just before daylight I was on my way to the trailhead. There were many cars ahead of me when I arrived at the parking lot but still managed to get off the road. It did not appear as though I would have the summit to myself today.

I passed several hikers coming down as I made my way up the trail. Some got a very early start and others were camped up there last night. I had a face mask and everyone was good about social distancing. The water levels were very low so crossings were not an issue at all.

There were several hikers at the trail junction and one started up ahead of me to the summit. There were four hikers at the summit when I arrived but that would change in a matter of minutes. I managed to get a video and a few photos from the summit and then I moved down off the summit to a ledge by myself.

I watched a steady stream of hikers arriving at the summit and I decided to start my descent. As I made my way down I passed by hikers coming up every 30 seconds to 2 minutes for 3 miles. I have never seen more hikers on any trail that I have ever hiked before. The last two miles the number of hikers diminished.

Back at the trailhead vehicles were parked up and down the road. I was glad I got there early in the morning. It was a great day for a hike and I enjoyed spectacular views from the summit!

Enjoy the photos and video!

A view of the sunrise from the driver side rear view mirror on my way to the trailhead

The hike starts here

Plus 0.2 makes it 5 miles to the summit

Morning sun through the trees

Very low water so crossings were not an issue



Smooth trail


Trail junction

Galehead and the Twins beyond

Sun shining on the Galehead Hut

Owl's Head and the Pemigewasset Wilderness

Mount Lafayette and the Franconia Ridge

Crowd of hikers on the summit of Mount Lafayette

Several hikers seen on the summit of South Twin

Mount Washington in the distance

A look back as I start my descent


Back at the trailhead 10 miles later




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment