Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Monday, August 17, 2020

Magnificent Monday Morning on Moosilauke


Summit: Mount Moosilauke (4,802')
Trail route: Beaver Brook Trail
Trail conditions: A variety of dry, wet and muddy, nothing extreme
Weather: Comfortably warm, sunshine
Total miles: 7.6
Total time:  5:35

With beautiful weather in the forecast I wanted to get out for a Monday morning hike. I would be hiking to Mount Moosilauke via the Beaver Brook Trail. I was quite certain that there would be less hikers on this trail than any of the other trails leading to the summit.

I arrived early and there was no problem getting a good parking spot. I have hiked this trail once before and knew that I was in for some steep climbing up beside Beaver Brook. When I got to the first cascade there was more water coming down than what I expected. On other recent hikes that I have been on the water levels were very low.

I was rather surprised at how wet the trail was during this steep climb as there has been very little rain lately. I passed by the trail that leads into Beaver Brook Shelter and had not seen any hikers yet. Just past here I was glad to reach the relatively flat section of trail giving my legs a little break from the relentless steep climbing I had just done.

I saw my first hiker of the day coming down from the summit just before the Benton Trail junction. I emerged from the treeline into full sunshine and no wind. Moosilauke is usually very windy and this was a nice change from previous hikes to this summit. There was just enough of a light breeze to wick away the sweat. It was absolutely spectacular at the top!

I was hoping to have the summit to myself for just a moment but no such luck. There was one other hiker here when I arrived. I got a quick panoramic video and some photos. But soon hikers started arriving from all three trails. A few more minutes and there was a steady stream of hikers. It was time for me to leave.

I saw several hikers on the Beaver Brook Trail before I reached the trail junction and only a few more on the way back down. I had to take it slow as I descended the steep section of trail and actually caught myself a couple of times and prevented a fall. I made it back down without mishap.

The parking lot was still not full but more people were arriving, not sure how many were hikers. Just a quick note, the toilet facilities are not open due to COVID 19. I'm not sure if a parking pass is required as I have one and didn't pay any attention to that.

My initial plan was to hike up Gorge Brook Trail but I'm very glad with my decision to hike Beaver Brook Trail. It was an awesome day to hike Mount Moosilauke!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

 Sunrise on the drive to the trailhead

 Looking up from the parking lot

 The hike starts here



 Need some new signs

 Difficult crossing this slide last time without a bridge

 The cascades begin







 Convenient steps

 A view from the trail

 More steps



 NOT an easy under or over


 After the steep climb the trail flattens giving the legs a bit of a rest

 Area of blowdowns

 Woodland asters

 View from the trail

 Bluebead lily

 Mount Moosilauke 

 A view into Jobildunk Ravine



 Leaving the treeline

 On the summit enjoying spectacular views

 A view toward South Peak

 West view

North view

 East view

 A look back at the summit as many hikers are arriving

 Leaving the summit

 Starting my descent


 Heading down

 A very wet section of trail

Stepping down a ledge

Not a spot to slip off the trail

At the bottom of the cascades

Back at the trailhead




Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment