Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, April 14, 2018

A Well Timed Hike to Waumbek


The weekend weather was looking rather grim and gloomy. The forecast was calling for occasional showers today with snow this afternoon and evening continuing into Sunday. I decided to hike Mount Waumbek (4,006'). This is my "go-to" summit during inclement weather and I also needed it for April. With warm temps and rain the past two days I wasn't sure what the trail conditions would be.

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Tough Climb Up Flume Slide


After several inches of new snow yesterday it looked like it would be another day of hiking in fresh loose snow. The plan for today was a hike up the very steep Flume Slide Trail to Franconia Ridge Trail then up to Mount Flume (4,328') over to Mount Liberty (4,459') and down Liberty Spring Trail. I would be joining hiking friends Jill, Mark, Guy, Jim, Amy and Robin for this challenging hike. The forecast called for clear skies and cold temps. I was hoping it would be cold enough to keep the snow from balling up on our traction.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Spring Snow on Wildcat A


One year ago on April 2, 2017 I hiked to Wildcat D the day after a snowstorm brought 18" to the high summits. It was an easy hike up the groomed ski trails. Arriving at the summit I found the Wildcat Ridge Trail to be unbroken so I would not be going any further. After not hiking this past weekend I decided to hike up to Wildcat A (4,422') to complete the Wildcats for April. 

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Tom and Field on a Spring Day


Hiking on Saturday had to be postponed as I was not feeling well. I felt better this morning and planned on doing the short hike to Mount Tom (4,051'). I would decide on continuing on to Mount Field (4,340') if I felt well enough and the weather and trail conditions were good. I figured the trails should be well broke out from hiker traffic on Saturday but I would have to see once I got up there.

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Hiking Up Into Spring On Mount Jackson


After a weekend of frigid windchills and reading trail reports of deep snow and summit attempts I decided to postpone my hiking. A check of the forecast on Monday indicated beautiful weather for Tuesday with lots of sunshine and tolerable temps. My hike today would take me up the Webster-Jackson Trail to the Mt Jackson Branch and onto the summit of Mount Jackson (4,052'). Trail reports indicated this was well broke out. With today being the vernal equinox I would be hiking up in Winter and descending in Spring. I have already hiked this summit in Winter but needed it for March.