Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Santa Does Waumbek


Summits: Mount Starr King (3,907') and Mount Waumbek (4,006')
Trail route: Starr King Trail to Starr King and Waumbek
Trail conditions: Bare trail to start then icy mud and continual ice from the conifers and beyond
Weather: Cold with a breeze, sunny and blue sky
Total miles: 7.2 RT
Total time: 4:30

I wanted to get out on a trail today and check out the conditions after the recent devastating deluge of rain from the latest storm earlier this week. Mount Waumbek is a short drive and there are no water crossings so this seemed like a good choice. And while I'm not "officially" keeping track today's hike could be added to the 4K a day list, that's hiking a 4,000 footer every day of the year.

On the drive to the trailhead I noticed that the rivers were still running high but had come down considerably since the initial flooding. There are two deep trenches on the way into the trailhead parking area but I had no problem getting in. There were two other vehicles already there when I arrived. One more vehicle came in and it was a familiar face. It was Stephanie who I have met several times on the trails. We talked for a few minutes then I was on my way.

It was bare ground to start. Conditions changed as I gained elevation. There was areas of frozen loose mud and ice but did not require traction at this point. Further up as I got into the conifers the trail was continual ice with a dusting of fresh snow on top. It was time to put on the microspikes. This proved to be the perfect traction.

I stopped briefly on the summit of Starr King to capture a few photos, they view of the Presidential summits was spectacular. I then continued on to Waumbek. There was a cold wind blowing across the ridge and I added another layer. On my way over to Waumbek I met three hikers coming back. It was a nice hike to the summit of Waumbek with the same hard packed, icy, snowy dust covered trail.

I stopped on the Waumbek summit for a photo then continued on to a clearing that offered a view of the Presidentials. This was my turn around point and I started back from here. I met Stephanie coming up to the summit as I was beginning my descent. It was a nice hike back to Starr King. I stopped on the summit to enjoy the warm sunshine and remove a layer. I then started my descent to the trailhead.

I kept my microspikes on past the point where I had put them on during the hike up. It was after this that I was wishing that I had brought my rock spikes. There was a long section of icy mud and rocks that was the toughest part of the trail today. I took my time getting down through here by carefully watching where I stepped and while there were a couple of minor slips there was no falls.

I was glad to get out today and I have to say that I wouldn't mind having the current conditions continue for a while longer. Any time I can leave the snowshoes behind is a good hike for me but I know this won't last for long with the first day of Winter arriving tomorrow. Only a few days before Christmas and Santa had a great day outside!

Enjoy the photos!


Bare ground to start

All that rain and not a drop in here

Very tricky icy mud and even worse on descent

Still bare booting

Passing through the hardwood forest
 
Entering the conifers and the trail is ice with a coating of fresh snow

Santa came down the chimney

View from Starr King

Frosty trees against a blue sky

View from Mount Waumbek

A look back at the chimney before descending Starr King

Back in the hardwood forest

Santa's sleigh awaits in the parking lot


Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment