Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, December 9, 2023

Snowy Hike on the Great Gulf Trail


Summit: None
Trail route: Great Gulf Trail
Trail conditions: Snow with some minimal ice
Weather: Cool temps, cloudy with partial sunshine 
Total miles: 5.4
Total time:  2:50

I wanted to get out for some snowshoe conditioning to prepare the legs for my upcoming winter grid summits. I decided to hike into the Great Gulf Wilderness on the Great Gulf Trail to the junction of the Madison Gulf Trail. There is very little elevation gain and a good way to ease into snowshoeing after not hiking for the past month.

I got a late start but was still the first one in the Great Gulf parking lot. I bare booted across the suspension bridge that had a layer of snow on it. There was good water flow coming down the icy Peabody River. I'm thinking this river is going to be a raging torrent by Monday afternoon with heavy rainfall in the forecast.

On the other end of the bridge I put on the snowshoes. With only about 3" of snow they really weren't needed but I needed the conditioning. The trail was rather bony but I continued for about two miles before removing them and putting on microspikes. As the sun started hitting the trees the snow bombs started falling from the limbs so I put on a waterproof jacket.

When I reached the tent site near the Madison Gulf Trail junction the snow was about 6" deep. I climbed the large boulder there and took photos of the surrounding summits. This was my turn around point and after a quick snack I started back to the trailhead. It was an uneventful but pleasant trip on the way down.

It was nice to get out on the trail today. A large storm is in the forecast bringing heavy rainfall and significant snowfall with a flood watch in effect for ravines and notches. There will be a dramatic change in trail conditions on Monday.

Enjoy the photos and videos!

The hike starts here
 
Bridge over the Peabody River
 
Hiking trail to the left and ski trail to the right
 
Large turkey on the trail
 
Into the Great Gulf Wilderness
 
The snowshoes came off here
 
Frozen brook
 
My turn around point
 
View from the trail
 
Mount Washington
 
Mount Jefferson
 
Closer shot of Jefferson
 
Mount Adams
 
Closer shot of Adams
 
A tricky climb to get on top of this rock for the views
 
Back at the suspension bridge
 
Peabody River







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment