Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Friday, November 17, 2023

A Leisurely Stroll to Zealand Hut

Summit: None
Trail route: Zealand Trail, Ethan Pond Trail, Twinway
Trail conditions: Wet trail, ice, mud
Weather: Cool temps to start then warm, cloudy with partial sunshine
Total miles: 8
Total time:  4:17

With warm temps in the forecast I was looking for a nice walk in the woods today. I thought Zealand Hut would be a nice casual hike and with the gate still open there would be no road walk..

This was a solo hike so no pressure to be there at a specific time. The ground was still bare on the drive to Twin Mountain. It was not until driving in on the Zealand Road that I started seeing snow in the woods and past the Hale Brook trailhead there was a coating of ice on the road. I put the truck into four wheel drive and there was no problem getting up to the Zealand parking lot.

There was a mixed bag of trail conditions that included wet, mud and ice. I brought the rock spikes but didn't need them since I was able to carefully maneuver around and over the sections of ice. When I arrived at the trail junction for Zealand Hut I decided to continue straight on the Ethan Pond Trail.

About a mile down the trail the views opened up to Zealand Notch, Whitewall Mountain and Zeacliff. I reached the Zeacliff Trail junction and this would be my turn around point. I was able to zoom into Zeacliff far above and see hikers on the ledge up there.

Back at the Twinway trail junction I turned and went up to the hut. I stopped here long enough to eat lunch then started my hike back out. I met a few hikers coming in but not as many as expected for the start of a weekend. It was a pleasant hike back to the parking lot.

This was exactly the hike I was looking for today, I even tacked on an extra 2.6 miles. The starting temperature was 29°F and two hours later it was 60°F. The frozen road had thawed out and it was an easy drive down. I would expect Zealand Road to close any day now so for those that need to hike in this area you better get here soon before having to add those extra road miles.

Enjoy the photos!

Sun and clouds above the Presidential summits on my drive to the trailhead
 
Icy road on the drive into the Zealand trailhead
 
The hike starts here
 
Mud
 
Zealand River
 
Slick bridge
 
On the boardwalk
 
Long straight and flat
 
Beaver pond with Zeacliff in the distance
 
Zealand Pond
 
Instead of turning toward the hut I continued straight into Zealand Notch
 
Whitewall Mountain
 
My turn around point was here at the Zeacliff Trail junction
 
Whitewall slide
 
A view down Zealand Notch
 
Looking up at Zeacliff
 
Hikers on the Zeacliff ledge far above the notch
 
View from Zealand Hut
 
Zooming in on the Ethan Pond Trail that crosses the Whitewall slide
 
Whitewall Brook
 
A careful icy descent from Zealand Hut
 
Back at the parking lot

 

Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!



No comments:

Post a Comment