Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Monday, January 1, 2024

Gridding Out Madison and Adams

Summits: Mount Madison (5,367'), Mount Adams (5,774')
Trail route: Valley Way, Osgood Trail, Gulfside Trail, Air Line
Trail conditions: Combination of bare ground to start
Weather: Cool temps and breezy on the summits, sunshine above treeline with undercast below
Total miles: 10
Total time:  9:39

I was looking forward to my first hike of the New Year although with some apprehension knowing that current trail conditions were challenging. This hike would grid out these two summits for me meaning I will have hiked them in every month of the year.

I had read some trail reports and I could expect some ice, exposed rocks and icy rocks. The weather was looking favorable for this time of year cold temps and some wind making for maybe a chilly wind chill. My pack was filled with everything I might need on this hike.

There were several vehicles in the Appalachia parking lot when I arrived. I was on the trail at 7:00 AM. The ground was bare to start but soon there was a coating of snow and areas of ice. After about a mile up the trail I put on the rock spikes as the trail was getting a little slick. Further up there was a mix of ice and rocks. I had to step carefully across the small water crossings that had icy rocks.

I arrived at Madison Spring Hut and put on a warmer layer before starting my ascent to the summit of Mount Madison. It was a careful climb up to the summit with a covering of snow that hid the ice. As I was making my approach to the summit I stepped on an ice covered rock hidden with snow and went down. It was an easy fall and I continued on to to the summit, it would surprisingly be my only fall of the day.

A few pics at the summit and I was on my way back down to the hut. Going down was actually more difficult than going up. I stopped at the hut and had something to eat before starting my ascent to Mount Adams. My legs were getting tired so I took it slow and easy. When I reached the junction I took the Gulfside Trail instead of Air Line, a little longer but not as steep.

The wind was brisk on the summit of Mount Adams so it was not a day for lingering and basking. A few pics and I started my descent. I went down Air Line and there was a nice solid path to follow. The wind was right in my face and had quite a bite but I was covered so wasn't a problem. I continued down Air Line and Durand Ridge. 

When I got below tree line I changed layers since I was out of the wind and warming up. I kept my rock spikes on and they worked well but could have used the sharper spikes. I got down without any falls but it was a tough descent with a lot of ice on the trail. The micropikes finally came off just before I reached bare ground. It was a nice walk out from there.

This was one of the toughest hikes that I have ever done due to the trail conditions although the weather was perfect. More snow covering the rocks would have been much better and less demanding on the legs and microspikes. 

My initial plan was to hike up to the hut and assess conditions...the weather, trail and me then continue on from there. After Madison I would once again see how I felt before moving on to Mount Adams, my legs were tired but I still felt Adams was doable. I could always turn around and descend which is what I did a year ago just below the summit of Adams which is why I returned today.

I have now done these two summits in every month of the year. I need one more hike this month to Lafayette and Lincoln to grid out those summits and the month of January.

Happy New Year and Happy Hiking! Enjoy the photos and video!

Thin crusty snow cover

A section of ice with many more to come

An easy under blowdown until there's more snow

More trail ice

I didn't turn back

First view of Mount Madison

Nice undercast from Mount Madison

On the summit of Mount Madison

Madison summit pin

Next summit is Mount Adams

Ice feathers

On my way to Mount Adams

Thunderstorm Junction

Mount Washington in the distance

Final ascent to Mount Adams

View of Mount Washington from Mount Adams

Mount Madison

A look back at Mount Adams

A look down King Ravine

There were no footprints coming out of King Ravine

Just came down from up there

Crag Cabin high above King Ravine

Durand Ridge

The trail gets close to the edge of King Ravine

A look back up at Durand Ridge


Some tricky ice on Air Line

Frosty forest

Back to bare ground

Arriving at the trailhead just before dark 






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment