Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Saturday, March 25, 2023

Spring Hike to Pierce Before the Snowstorm


Summit: Mount Pierce (4,310')
Trail route: Crawford Path, Webster Cliff Trail
Trail conditions: Solid white sidewalk with a confusing trail from the junction to the summit
Weather: Sun showing through high cloud cover before an incoming snowstorm, cold and windy on the summit
Total miles: 7
Total time: 3:46

I was looking for a short, relatively easy hike to the summit of a 4,000 footer. Mount Pierce appeared like a good choice and I would be joining Scott and Lisa. There was an incoming snowstorm in the forecast and snow was due to arrive around 2:00 PM.

Scott and Lisa were already at the parking lot when I arrived. The trail was a rock solid white sidewalk so I wore microspikes. The trail was solid all the way to the Webster Cliff Junction. This is where the path to the summit got somewhat confused due to the snow drifting. The packed path seemed to go further to the left and sure enough we were off the trail. We were able to find a cairn further up and got back on the trail.

There was a lot of snow on the summit with the cairn being completely buried and out of sight. We walked up the snow to around the treetops and were able to enjoy some great views. A Coast Guard helicopter flew over us while we were there. After a few pics we dropped back down to the trail junction following the cairns and the correct path.

It was at the trail junction that we parted company. Scott and Lisa were heading over to Mount Eisenhower and I was heading back down to the parking lot. I watched them as they dropped down onto the ridge and disappeared into the trees. It was all downhill from here for me. There were many hikers coming up as I was descending. I only wish that I had brought my buttsled since the trail was perfect for a quick sled down.

Today's hike was the first 4,000 footer that I've done since February. The Bonds are the only summits I have remaining on my grid list for March and I doubt that I will get them done this month so they will have to wait until next year. It was a great day to get out! 

Enjoy the photos and videos!

Sun rising over the Presidential Range on my drive to the trailhead

The hike starts here

The bridge over Gibbs Brook

Gibbs Brook

Frosty trees

Snow encrusted branches

Sun through high cloud cover

A proposal on Mount Pierce

Coast Guard helo

Wildcat Ski Area


View from the summit of Mount Pierce

Descending Mount Pierce

At the trail junction where we part company

Lisa and Scott on their way to Mount Eisenhower

Eisenhower and Washington with Mount Monroe in between

Mount Washington and Mount Monroe below

A last view of the Presidential summits before heading into the trees

The trail goes that way

Trail trench

Blowdown

Lots of snow

Big burl

Gibbs Falls

Icy "teeth" at the bottom of Gibbs Falls







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment