Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Monday, March 27, 2023

Spring Sledding on the Sherburne Trail


I woke up this morning with the sun shining and a clear blue sky. With such a nice Spring day I made a spur of the moment decision to hike up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail and sled down the Sherburne Ski Trail.

I grabbed my Zipfy sled and a light backpack before heading to Pinkham Notch. There were many skiers heading up when I arrived at the parking lot but still plenty of available parking spots. 

I put on microspikes to start the hike. I was expecting a solid white sidewalk but surprised that while the trail was packed down without postholes it was still quite soft from recent snow over the weekend. The snow was already getting sticky where the sun was hitting it and there was some minor balling up on my microspikes but nothing too annoying, I stayed in the shade where possible. My trail crampons would've been better with their anti-balling feature but left them behind.

It was a nice hike up to the Hermit Lake cabin. I walked over to the viewpoint up to the Tuckerman Ravine bowl. There was a total of four skiers below the rim of the bowl and I watched as they skied down the headwall, it was good entertainment and they all made it down without mishap. The avalanche danger was moderate.

I went back to the cabin and prepared for my ride down on the sled. It was a beautiful day for lingering and basking in the Spring sunshine. After ensuring everything was stowed properly on my pack and all zippers were zipped up I walked over to the Shelburne Ski Trail for the 2.3 mile ride down.

The first part of the trail is quite flat so I continued walking to the first drop, then the ride began. There are more areas where a short walk is required but most of the trail is rideable. The snow was packed but soft at the top and somewhat slushy toward the bottom but it was a fantastic ride down with no ice at all.

I usually like to sled this trail at least once a year and today was perfect for this ride!

Enjoy the photos and videos!  

Checking the latest avalanche advisory



Crystal Cascades

A look at the Sherburne Ski Trail before continuing the hike up

On the Tuckerman Ravine Trail

Lots of snow on the trail


No recent traffic on the Raymond Path


Arriving at the Hermit Lake cabin

Snow covered summer rest rooms

Enjoying the view of the Tuckerman Ravine bowl

A skier just below the rim of the Tuckerman bowl

Another skier arrives

And another skier

Three skiers contemplating the fall line

Skier drops down the headwall

Hermit Lake cabin

The view from the deck of Hermit Lake cabin

The sled down is about to begin for the 2.3 miles back to the parking lot

The sled is ready to go

Walking across a bridge to the parking lot completes the descent







Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment