Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Kinsmans For The First Hike of 2021


Summits: North Kinsman (4,293'), South Kinsman (4,358')
Trail route: Mt. Kinsman Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: A thin covering of snow to several inches of unconsolidated snow at higher elevations with occasional ice under the snow
Weather: Temps in the 20's, partly cloudy 
Total miles: 10
Total time:  6:40

I was hiking solo today so my plan was for a late start to let other hikers break trail after recent snowfall. Was not sure how much snow there would be but hoping not more than a few inches.

I arrived at the trailhead to an almost full parking lot, I managed to squeeze in one more space. There had been some work since I was last here expanding the parking area. They did a nice job.

I had read many trail reports before leaving the house this morning and I saw that snowshoes were not needed on other trails. There was not much snow at the trailhead and I saw other hikers not carrying snowshoes so I decided to leave my snowshoes behind, no free snowshoe rides today.

I bare booted for the first mile before putting on microspikes just as the the trail started its upward climb. The microspikes were all that I needed and they stayed on for the rest of the hike. Water crossings were bridged but somewhat thin in a few areas. 

Up on the Kinsman Ridge Trail there was several inches of loose, unconsolidated snow that had seen lots of hiker traffic. At the trail junction I could see a low cloud cover and there were no views. On the summit of North Kinsman the peaks along the Franconia Ridge would occasionally pop out above the cloud cover. I continued on to South Kinsman. On my way over I saw Adam (The Teal Goat) that I have met on several other previous hikes in the White Mountains.

As I made my way along the Kinsman Ridge Trail I could see that the cloud cover was dropping and it soon turned into an undercast. When I reached the summit of South Kinsman I momentarily had it to myself. While there was a high thin overcast above there was an undercast below. It was cold and windy here so I didn't stay long and soon started my return trip.

I met many hikers on the way back to North Kinsman. I reached the summit and started the descent back to the trailhead, it was all downhill from here. The undercast had almost completely disappeared. 

It was a good hike back down to the trailhead. I was somewhat surprised that my vehicle was the last one in the parking lot when I returned. 

It was an enjoyable hike today and conditions were better than expected which is always nice. This was a good hike to start the New Year!

Enjoy the photos and video!

The hike starts here

Passing by the sugar shack

Water crossing is bridged

Frozen waterfall


Snowy Mount Kinsman Trail

Snow-capped burl

Kinsman Ridge Trail junction

Rime-ice branches

A view below the undercast

Mount Liberty

Mount Lincoln

South Kinsman

Mount Lafayette and Mount Lincoln from North Kinsman

Mount Moosilauke

Cannon Mountain

View from the summit of South Kinsman

South view

West view

Southeast view

Heading back to North Kinsman

North Kinsman

Snow-covered spruce branch

Mount Lafayette

Looking down an icy ledge on the trail

Looking back up the icy ledge

Last view before descending Mt Kinsman Trail

Heading down Mt Kinsman Trail

No footprints going to the Flume

Icicles

Almost out

Parking lot was full when I arrived this morning and I'm the last one to leave





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!





No comments:

Post a Comment