Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Out and Back to Liberty and Flume


Summits: Mount Liberty (4,459'), Mount Flume (4,328')
Trail route: Liberty Springs Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail 
Trail conditions: Liberty Springs was packed, Franconia Ridge Trail had a packed base with loose snow on top
Weather: Cold wind with temps in the teens and 20's, sunshine
Total miles: 8.8
Total time:  6:30

Recent snowfall dropped a few inches on the trails but a check of trail reports had conditions looking good for this hike to Liberty and Flume. Weather was also looking favorable with sunshine and cold temps. 

I got a slightly later than usual start but was still the first one in The Basin parking lot this morning. I began the hike bare booting but carried both snowshoes and microspikes. I got started down the bike/snowmobile path and turned onto the bushwhack that is now a few steps closer. The old log crossing over the small brook is now broken and another one is being used. 

The trail was nicely packed but about a mile in I put on microspikes as it started getting steep. At the Franconia Ridge Trail there was a couple inches of loose snow. There was a cold wind blowing and I added a layer. On the summit of Mount Liberty it was a very cold wind, the views were spectacular. A brief stop then I continued on to Mount Flume.

The normal trail off the summit to Mount Flume was not broke out but the bushwhack was and I took that down. Once I was out of the wind I changed to snowshoes and found that much better as there was lots of loose snow between the summits but still a nice hike to Flume.

When I reached the summit of Mount Flume two hikers were there that had just come up from the Flume Slide Trail. They appeared to be in shock after that experience and had to change their hiking plans as it took two hours longer than they expected. I have done that once in winter and it is a grueling climb up a very steep trail so I know how they felt.

Mount Flume was my turn around point. There was that cold wind still blowing and I didn't stay long before starting the hike back. I met a few hikers on the way to Mount Liberty. The trail to the summit was still not broke out and I went up the bushwhack and kept going just below the summit as I didn't need to expose myself to that wind again. It was just not a day for lingering and basking.

At the trail junction I changed back to microspikes for the descent on Liberty Springs Trail. I met a few more hikers on the way down. It was a pleasant hike back to the parking lot. 

The conditions, both weather and trail, were about what I expected. It was a very nice hike to these summits today!

Enjoy the photos and videos!

The hike starts here at the bike/snowmobile trail

The herd path bushwhack was well broke out

Definitely not doing Flume Slide Trail

Ice formation on a water crossing

Liberty Springs Trail

Liberty Springs Campsite

Franconia Ridge Trail and Liberty Springs Trail junction

Franconia Ridge Trail

Sun through frosty trees

Mount Liberty summit up ahead

On the cold summit of Mount Liberty

Mount Flume from Mount Liberty

Snow capped Presidential summits

Bondcliff

Mount Garfield

Mount Lincoln

Cannon Mountain

The Kinsmans

Mount Moosilauke

On the summit of Mount Flume

Heading back to Mount Liberty

Descending Mount Flume

Mount Washington

Mount Lincoln and Mount Lafayette

Framed sun

Franconia Ridge Trail

Passing below the summit of Mount Liberty

Looking down into Franconia Notch

A lone cloud in the distance

Descending Mount Liberty

Tree anomaly

On the bike/snowmobile path

Back at the parking lot






Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment