Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Kinsmans To Grid Out October Adding #399 and #400 To Grid Count


Summits: North Kinsman (4,293'), South Kinsman (4,358')
Trail route: Mt. Kinsman Trail, Kinsman Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Wet, ice, slippery
Weather: Temps in the 20's and low 30's, cloudy, clearing sky toward end of hike
Total miles: 10
Total time: 7:10

Weather was looking less than ideal to start the day but the forecast had clearing skies for the afternoon. The Kinsmans are well protected from the elements and I have done this hike before in  unfavorable weather. This would be my #47 and #48 summits completed on the 48 4,000 footer list this month and officially grid me out for October.

On my drive to the trailhead I could see the summits were cloud covered. There was no precipitation falling as I started my hike. At about 2.5 miles into the hike there was light sleet starting to fall and I put on my waterproof layer. I'd much rather have the sleet falling than light rain or drizzle.

I reached the Kinsman Ridge Trail and there was a coating of sleet with some of it covering ice. I was able to avoid the ice but the theme across the ridge was slow and cautious. There was no view from the North Kinsman outlook as I expected but I had to get a photo for my #399 summit toward the grid. I then continued on.

As I got closer to South Kinsman the sleet and ice on the trail increased. There was more cautious foot placement and I was able to get around the icy spots. I thought micropikes might have helped give me a quicker pace but I was fine with moving slow.

I arrived at the summit of Mount Kinsman for #400 toward the grid. A few photos and I started my return trip. It was the same cautious pace on the way back with decreasing sleet and ice on the trail as I got back to North Kinsman. I saw my first and only hiker while descending just before the Mt Kinsman Trail.

It was a very wet hike down. As I got to the Bald Peak spur trail the sun was coming out. I decided to hike over to Bald Peak and get some views as the sky was clearing. Clouds still covered Kinsman Ridge but were lifting. I continued down the trail.

The sun felt good as I arrived back at the trailhead. Gridding out October and reaching #400 for the grid was a good morale booster. I look forward to 176 more summit adventures to complete the 576 summits for the grid!

Enjoy the photos and video!

Hike starts here just after daylight

Passing by the sugar shack

First water crossing not a problem

Cascade

Heading up into the mist

Another easy water crossing


Tree with legs

Started sleeting when I arrived at these bog bridges

Flowing water on the trail

Burl with a beanie

Arriving at the Kinsman Ridge Trail with a coating of sleet and snow

Frosty spruce 

On the summit outlook of North Kinsman - #399 for the grid

Passing over the summit of North Kinsman

Slippery bog bridges

Frosty trees

Looking wintry as I get closer to the summit of South Kinsman

More slippery bog bridges

Frosted alpine vegetation

Sun is trying to break through on South Kinsman

Cairn throne on the South Kinsman summit


Back on North Kinsman and it's all downhill from here

Still no views as I make my turn onto the Mt Kinsman Trail

A very wet trail

Sun breaking through the clouds on the way to Bald Peak

Clearing up on Bald Peak after I get down off the ridge

Clouds hang low over Kinsman Ridge

Clouds lifting

Touched by a sunbeam

Back at the trailhead





Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!




No comments:

Post a Comment