Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Thursday, October 29, 2020

A Hike to the Namesakes...Weeks Mountains


Summits: North Weeks Mountain (3,901'), Middle Weeks Mountain (3,684'), South Weeks Mountain (3,885')
Trail route: York Pond Trail, Kilkenny Ridge Trail
Trail conditions: Wet, some ice, slippery
Weather: Temps in the 20's and 30's, cloudy, light snow to drizzle to steady light rain
Total miles: 12.2 
Total time: 7:09

After completing the 48 4,000 footers for the month of October this week I was looking for another hike today. I decided to hike the Weeks Mountains that would count toward the New England Hundred Highest List. Only North and South Weeks Mountains are on the list. This is a local hike for me as the trailhead is only 15 minutes away from my house.

There were a couple of issues that would put a little pressure on me. First there is a gate at the York Pond fish hatchery that is only open from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM so I would need to hike the 12 miles in under 8 hours. Then there was an approaching storm bringing rain and mixed precipitation arriving early afternoon but I had the wet weather layers that I needed so that was not much of a concern to me.

I arrived at the fish hatchery just before 8:00 AM and the gate was already open. I drove down to the trailhead and was the only one there. With recent rain the trail and vegetation was very wet. It wasn't long before I came to a very tricky water crossing and had to carefully pick my way across on some very slick rocks. The lower part of York Pond Trail has a number of bog bridges that are very much needed. These bridges were very slippery today.

It was a very nice hike along the York Pond Trail. I made my turn onto the Kilkenny Ridge Trail and started the ascent to the summit of North Weeks Mountain. As I got closer to the top the ground was frozen and a bit icy. There was a coating of snow on the summit and it was a winter scene. I continued on to the next mountain.

There were many blowdowns along the way. Some were walk arounds, others were easy overs and there were a few that a had to crawl under. I dropped down into the col and up to the summit of Middle Weeks then on to the next mountain.

Once again I dropped down into a col and then up to South Weeks Mountain. I found a small summit cairn on a spur path off the main trail. This was my turn around point and I soon started the 6 mile hike back to the trailhead. 

It was on my return trip that precipitation started falling starting as light snow. As I dropped down to lower elevations the light snow turned to light drizzle and then a steady light rain all the way back to the trailhead.

I have been wanting to do this hike for a long time and was glad I could get it done today even with the inclement weather. I saw no other hikers and it was a very solitary hike in remote wilderness but these were some new trails that I had not done before and I found it to be a very enjoyable hike!

Enjoy the photos!

York Pond reflection

The hike starts here



Tricky water crossing


Slippery bog bridges


York Pond Trail passes through open woods

More slippery bog bridges

Arriving at the Kilkenny Ridge Trail


A coating of snow in the higher elevations

On the summit of North Weeks Mountain

Lots of blowdowns on the Kilkenny Ridge Trail

Another blowdown blocking the trail

Caught this owl in the top of a tree

Tree full of old man's beard

Crossing over the summit of Middle Weeks Mountain

Some well needed and appreciated trail maintenance

Crawled under this blowdown

Large area of blowdowns


On the summit of South Weeks Mountain

Heading back


North Weeks through the trees to the left and Middle Weeks to the right

Gray jay

Pushed my way through this blowdown

Crossing back over Middle Weeks

Shining clubmoss

Lots of gnarly trees in this forest

Captured rock

Crossing back over North Weeks

Big leaf

Ornamental tree moss

Back on the York Pond Trail

Carefully crossing slick bog bridges

Mushroom twins

Easy water crossing

Back at the trailhead



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment