Franconia Ridge

Franconia Ridge

Friday, May 8, 2020

Loop Hike in the Great Gulf


There was a nice day of weather in the forecast so I decided to take a local hike. This hike would take me into the Great Gulf via the Great Gulf Trail. I would then take a loop up the Osgood Trail across the Osgood Cutoff and back down the Great Gulf Trail and back out for a six mile hike.

I arrived at an empty Great Gulf parking lot. So far it was looking good for social distancing and I was quite confident that this would not be an issue for the entire hike. I reached the suspension bridge that crosses the Peabody River and carefully walked across the ice covered deck.

As I walked along the trail there were spots of fresh snow from last night. There were three water crossings along the way that all had wooden bridges. I turned up on the Osgood Trail and the ground was still bare except for some very short sections of snow. It was through here that I thought I was seeing occasional snow flurries but wasn't quite sure as the temperature was in the 40's.

When I got to the next trail junction I went into the Osgood tent site to check it out. There was a bear-proof food box, tent platform and an outhouse. No one was here and I continued on to the Osgood Cutoff. Snow flurries were now continuously falling with occasional light snow squalls. There was more snow through this area but not enough for significant postholing. As the trail descended I was back to bare ground.

I made a stop at The Bluff tent site for lunch. There was some good views of the surrounding summits. After something to eat I continued on down the Great Gulf Trail. I was soon back at the Osgood Trail junction completing the loop. It was another two miles back to the parking lot.

I had a pleasant hike out. I passed three hikers coming in and kept a good distance letting them by. Back at the suspension bridge the ice had melted and it was a safer crossing than I had this morning. With a snowstorm on the way tonight it was nice to get out for a hike before winter conditions arrive this weekend in the mountains.

Enjoy the photos!

 The hike starts here

 The suspension bridge was icy

 Crossing the Peabody River


 Some serious bank erosion


 The hiking trail and ski trail diverge

 West Branch Peabody River

 A burl with "lips"

 Convenient bridge for an easy water crossing

 Another bridge

 One more bridge

 Crossing into the Great Gulf Wilderness

 Fresh snow

 Turning onto the Osgood Trail to start the loop

Getting into snow on the trail


 Overnight snow lingers on tree branches



 Bear-proof food storage box

 Osgood tent site



 On the Osgood Cutoff trail

 Fresh snow on the trail

 A view through the trees

 Large quartz rock


 Wildcat ski area in the distance

 Observation deck can be seen on Wildcat D

 Zooming in on the summit of Wildcat ski area

 Mount Washington

 The Bluff tent site

 Stopped here for lunch

 Mount Jefferson

 Mount Madison

 West Branch Peabody River

 Tree eating a rock

 A holdout section of monorail

 The loop is complete

 Large boulder sits by itself

 Flowing brook beside the trail


 Vernal pool reflection

 Mossy brook

 West Branch Peabody River


Back at the suspension bridge



Having Fun in the Great Outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment